Hmmm...White Spots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLT_66

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been brewing up at the office lately and just racked into my secondary beginning of last week. I checked on the batch before I left Friday afternoon and the it looked the same as it had all week. Not much going on, pretty dormant really... The surface of the beer was uniform without any bubbles or anything.

Today, (the following Monday) I went in to check on the batch and their are probably about 10 dime sized white patches on the surface of the brew. They appear to just be very very small bubbles grouped together but I can't tell for sure. I don't think they are a floating "mass" of sorts like a mold but I not 100%.

Anyone else see this happen? This is my 7th batch of homebrew and I've never seen these white bubbles occur in my secondary before. I feel good about my sanitizing process then again...

What do you guys think? Should I see if I can "remove" the mass or do something to determine if it is all bubbles and no mold?

Tiny clusters of bubbles on the surface in the secondary is pretty common. (Almost as common as folks mistaking them for mold. :D)

If it is by chance mold, it won't take long for that to be VERY obvious. Those patches will probably spread out RAPIDLY.

Hey guys, so I've been brewing up at the office lately and just racked into my secondary beginning of last week. I checked on the batch before I left Friday afternoon and the it looked the same as it had all week. Not much going on, pretty dormant really... The surface of the beer was uniform without any bubbles or anything.

Today, (the following Monday) I went in to check on the batch and their are probably about 10 dime sized white patches on the surface of the brew. They appear to just be very very small bubbles grouped together but I can't tell for sure. I don't think they are a floating "mass" of sorts like a mold but I not 100%.

Anyone else see this happen? This is my 7th batch of homebrew and I've never seen these white bubbles occur in my secondary before. I feel good about my sanitizing process then again...

What do you guys think? Should I see if I can "remove" the mass or do something to determine if it is all bubbles and no mold?

+1 on the "no problem it is bubbles". I get this quite a bit depending on the brew. Looks very white because of how dense the bubbles are packed, especially if sitting in a group that is not as compact. Take a flashlight, shine on the white spots and the fact that it is bubbles should be clear. If not, then you have a different issue.

Currently have a Bavarian Hefeweiss that has this characteristic.

Thanks for the help guys. The bubbles just kind of dispersed about a day after I posted.

At first glance though, I thought it was mold for sure!

Back