Carbonation and Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krrazy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read that apfelwein can take longer to carb. than beer and that a lot of people enjoy it that way but in my search for details I haven't come up with what I'm looking for. Can a few folks please share some details on their experiences on that (what method is used, ratios, and time for carbonation)?

I fermented for four weeks and then bottle conditioned for four additional weeks primed with dextrose at 1 oz / gallon. One bottle that I opened a week ago had a slight positive pressure when I opened it but no hit of bubbles and the second one that I opened last night had no detectable carbonation at all.

This was my first batch and of course I was eager to try it after two months; if I just need to wait longer that's not problem (or maybe it will be ;)), I'd just like to get some idea of what that time is.

Thank you for your help.

Could be that the most of the yeast fell out of suspension and it will take a long time to carb, if at all. I force carbed my batch so it went pretty simply. Are you keeping them at room temp? I found that I really could not enjoy mine until the 6 month mark and even then I'd rather have a home brew so I have about 3 gallons aging for a long term test.

You might try placing your bottled apfelwein someplace where it's about 68*-70*F for a few days to a week & then open a bottle & see if it's carbed up. Warmer temps should help the yeast to do their thing. Out of curiosity, what yeast did you use? Regards, GF.

Back