Hop Pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidebung

Reaction score
When using hop pellets should they be put in a nylon bag when boiling? If not how do you remove the shrub from the boiling pot?

I don't bother. I just throw them in. When I move the wort into the primary, I try to not pour in the sludge at the bottom of the boiling pot but if it goes in, it is no big deal, it will all settle and pack itself at the bottom of your fermenter anyway. It is easy to leave it all behind when you siphon.

Others are much more fastidious about this than I am.

If it's not a butt load of hops and you're doing partial (stove top) boils, tossing them in loose is no big deal.

I used to use a simple mesh strainer (after the wort was cooled) to scoop out the bulk of hops, and then pour the wort through the same strainer on the way into the fermenter.

Toss them in and leave them. Between racking to secondary, then to a bottling carboy/bucket, then to bottles, very few if any hop particles make it into the bottles. Although I did drink one of my Am. wheats yesterday and noticed a small hop chunk in the bottom of the bottle, which didn't bother me in the least.

Back