Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this brewed yesterday everything went good, over shot my volume a little bit = 2hr boil. The only grain I changed from your recipe I used carafa 2 special instead of carafa 3 & I used your suggestion and used 1.75 oz pacific jade at flame out.
My SG 1101 Pitched onto a California 001 yeast cake & air lock bubbling 1.5 hr later.

I'm very interested in this recipe. I will add this to the brewing schedule and let you know how this turns out. I plan on bottling half of it and kegging the other half. I owe my buddy a case for the great deal he gave me on his chest freezer and he loves high ABV hoppy beers. This can't miss!

Just tapped the keg that I blended and dry hopped in the keg. Turned out better than I expected. This could be trouble.

Just racked my brew onto 2oz Nelson Sauvin Gravity after 14 days in the primary 1018 Looks like 11.1%.
Planning to let the dry hop go for 7 days unless there are any recomendation out there to go longer ?

Just my two cents but I dropped 3 oz. of Nelson Savin in a hop bag and suspended it in my keg and left it. Bout half way through the keg and its delicious

I scaled this up to a 7.5 gallon batch. My plan is to bottle a case for a friend and keg the rest. 7.5 gallons of water, 20 lbs of 2-row, 2 lbs of Crystal 80, and a pound each of chocolate and carafa III *barely* fit in a 10 gallon igloo cooler FYI.

Unfortunately I only have an 8 gallon kettle so I'm going to collect 7.5 gallons of wort in the main kettle and do all the hop additions there. I'll boil the rest on the kitchen stove and mix them together during chilling and then into the fermenter.

I hope this works! :mug:

Has anyone that brewed this amazing recipe considered scaling it down to a regular Black IPA ABV? Say 6% or so? I love this recipe, just wondering if it is possible to get a similar flavor profile, albeit subdued of course, while lowering the ABV to a more quaffable range. What I think is most unique about this recipe is the use of the candi syrup, then the unique and great hops or course. I am considering cutting the grain values proportionately while maintaining similar percentages and raising the mash temp to not dry it out too much. Thoughts?

Just brewed 7.5 gallons of this monster today. OG was 1.099 so I was only .03 points off. That's darn good considering my mash tun was *full*. Can't wait to taste this one!

drawdy10 said:
Has anyone that brewed this amazing recipe considered scaling it down to a regular Black IPA ABV? Say 6% or so? I love this recipe, just wondering if it is possible to get a similar flavor profile, albeit subdued of course, while lowering the ABV to a more quaffable range. What I think is most unique about this recipe is the use of the candi syrup, then the unique and great hops or course. I am considering cutting the grain values proportionately while maintaining similar percentages and raising the mash temp to not dry it out too much. Thoughts?

Sounds like it should work out well.

@ Drawdy10 Black IPA 6% 60 ibu sounds good, Keep us updated . As for my Stone brew everything is looking good & tastes good , I just got it kegged yesterday

Brewing this tonight!
image-4007375239.jpg

Brewed this a couple weeks ago and tasted a hydro sample today when I dry-hopped it. Couldn't resist! It was delicious. I can't wait until this one is ready.

After a few days of carbing, this beer tastes awesome. Maybe a little green but great hop flavor and aroma.

Highly recommend this recipe!

image-480561278.jpg

Almost six months since the last time I made this, got the supplies and gonna brew up another batch in the next couple weeks!

Newbie to the forums here.. Brewed this last Saturday and fermentation is going craaaaaazy. Went from 1.112 (a little high I know) to 1.06 in 3 days! The sample I took is still really thick- think the consistency of thick whole chocolate milk. Anyone else get this? I would have thought with such a drastic drop in gravity it would have thinned out a good bit (or more than it has so far). Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

1.06 is still pretty thick. It is higher than the starting gravity for a lot of beers. If you pitched enough healthy yeast, mashed right, and the yeast had some oxygen you will be good.

I see you are in Decatur....I am in Roswell. If you want to share a bottle or trade some homebrews let me know. I haven't got to try anyone else's version of my recipe yet so am interested!

1.06 is still pretty thick. It is higher than the starting gravity for a lot of beers. If you pitched enough healthy yeast, mashed right, and the yeast had some oxygen you will be good.

I see you are in Decatur....I am in Roswell. If you want to share a bottle or trade some homebrews let me know. I haven't got to try anyone else's version of my recipe yet so am interested!

Man that would be awesome! I'm nervous about this one as I had a few hiccups on brew day but if it's not a total crapper I'd be happy to share my results! Just moved here from Athens so I'm still getting a feel for the home brew community in the area. Always looking for people who enjoy making the beer they drink! Just curious, what was the final flavor profile of your beer like? I never had the original 15th anniversary but the recipe sounded yummy so I went for it.

Man I'm having all sorts of fun with a stuck fermentation. Never had this happen before. Hoping it will turn around after a little coaxing on my part.

Brewed this 2 months ago, Goddam best beer i've brewed thus far. 5 gallons lasted a damn long time. Love this so much im going back at it this sunday, made a starter this morning. Thanks for the recipe, I am in love with this beer as an IPA.

Just re-brewed this, i will definitely say that the carafa and chocolate malt should be halved when using this. I was aiming more towards the IPA aspect of it, and given 2 weeks conditioning the hop aroma and bitterness are completely overpowered by the intese carafa and chocolate. Regardless, still an awesome stout-like beer with a thick light brown head that tastes beautiful.

Just re-brewed this, i will definitely say that the carafa and chocolate malt should be halved when using this. I was aiming more towards the IPA aspect of it, and given 2 weeks conditioning the hop aroma and bitterness are completely overpowered by the intese carafa and chocolate. Regardless, still an awesome stout-like beer with a thick light brown head that tastes beautiful.

Did you do a side by side with fresh Stone 15th?

This was my issue with most commercial black IPAs I have tried so far - the IPA character was pushed to the background while the dark/roasted malts dominated. Not sure if this can be avoided when aiming for a real dark color... :drunk:

Try an IPA recipe you like and add carafa III. Black, a bit roasty, no big malt from the roast. I feel the same way and this has worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This was my issue with most commercial black IPAs I have tried so far - the IPA character was pushed to the background while the dark/roasted malts dominated. Not sure if this can be avoided when aiming for a real dark color... :drunk:

What about Blakprinz or Midnight Wheat malts for getting that color without the roast? I'm thinking though that Blackprinz is similar to CarafaIII..roasted dehusked barley. Anyway what about using the Midnight Wheat?

What about Blakprinz or Midnight Wheat malts for getting that color without the roast? I'm thinking though that Blackprinz is similar to CarafaIII..roasted dehusked barley. Anyway what about using the Midnight Wheat?

I've used mindnight wheat in a BIPA, but instead of mashing it, I steeped it before the boil. IMHO it was fantastic, all the color with no roasty taste. The grain bill was 2 row and flaked wheat. Used all NZ and Australian hops, called it "The Flight of the Black Dundee"

Try an IPA recipe you like and add carafa III. Black, a bit roasty, no big malt from the roast. I feel the same way and this has worked for me.

I bought some midnight wheat a while ago and was hoping I could use it for exactly this purpose. Thanks for reassuring me; I shall try it soon!

:mug:

I'm not familiar with midnight wheat but if you want something that tastes no different from an IPA, why not make an ipa?

Maybe a silly question?

I'm not familiar with midnight wheat but if you want something that tastes no different from an IPA, why not make an ipa?

Maybe a silly question?

It still gives you a mild roasted flavor just with less astringency. It's a pretty cool malt to fool with anyway.

I brewed this with a few changes on 9/7/14 - also decided to use midnight wheat instead of chocolate malt.

I couldn't get Pacific Jade, so I subbed Galaxy instead. Here's what my recipe looked like:

I used a 1.6 Liter starter of WLP090 SD super yeast, and it took off promptly. OG was a little low at 1.089, for a total of 6 gallons into the fermenter. Within a week it was at 1.020 and not quite finished. It has slowed bubbling this past week, and tasted amazingly good last week as well. Still roasty, but not to a point of covering the hops. This beer is very complex, and I plan on letting it sit another week on the yeast before dry hopping.

Another great recipe from skeezer!

I brewed this with a few changes on 9/7/14 - also decided to use midnight wheat instead of chocolate malt.

I couldn't get Pacific Jade, so I subbed Galaxy instead. Here's what my recipe looked like:

I used a 1.6 Liter starter of WLP090 SD super yeast, and it took off promptly. OG was a little low at 1.089, for a total of 6 gallons into the fermenter. Within a week it was at 1.020 and not quite finished. It has slowed bubbling this past week, and tasted amazingly good last week as well. Still roasty, but not to a point of covering the hops. This beer is very complex, and I plan on letting it sit another week on the yeast before dry hopping.

Another great recipe from skeezer!

Hope you enjoy it. I had almost forgot about this, I should do it again sometime.

Skeezerpleezer,

No doubt this will turn out great - it's my 4th AG batch (apfelwein doesn't count right?) and easily the most complex recipe yet.

I did wait to add the roasted malts until the last 20 minutes of the mash, and just kept them on the top of the grain, fly sparging onto them. This got all of the color and the right amount of roast flavor, which lets the hops shine right through. I also pulled about 5 cups of wort before the boil began, and boiled it in a separate saucepan, adding the dark candy sugar, and boiled that down to a syrup, adding it back around 20 min left into the main boil kettle. I think this might help to give it some malty/caramel flavors as well.

I'm pulling another sample tonight for testing/tasting so I'll post a photo of the beer.

Thanks for sharing your recipes, they have been a HUGE help in learning how to brew my favorite beers at home.

Highest regards,

Wes

So it's down to 1.017 after 16 days - 9.3% abv so far.

Nice and black, with slight roast and a dank hop flavor, and smooth bitter taste up front. The WLP 090 was great for this - clean flavor, and it's 79.1% attenuated, fermenting around 66-67 F. Can't wait to taste this after dry hopping and bottle conditioning. It really is quite smooth, actually could stand for a slight bit more roast, but it's definitely in there. Might as well be able to taste all of those hops, after all this ran me around $80 to brew - but it's worth it! I'm very happy with where this is going!

I haven't actually tried the 15th anniversary. I haven't been able to find it in Denver, but I have access to Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA and it's one of my favorite beers.

I'll be pouring at the Great American Beer Festival in 2 weeks, and I'm curious what Stone will have to drink! I'll be posting some photos.

I haven't actually tried the 15th anniversary. I haven't been able to find it in Denver, but I have access to Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA and it's one of my favorite beers.

Well, seeing as I just saw the 18th anniversary IPA at the store earlier this afternoon, I have a feeling the 15th anniversary beer might be hard to find at this point. I'm glad to say I drank my one bottle of it on a camping trip at the Grand Canyon. Never found another bottle of it after that, though.

Back