CT Brewers Check-In

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey that's very exciting. Love the look that you got for your branding - very distressed/authentic.

I'm in Rowayton and I have only just this past weekend brewed by 2nd extract kit, so as far as that goes I'm just dipping my toes in. I have been looking at the craft beer world though, so maybe we can compare notes over a beer sometime.

Can you PM on this board?

Just broke down and cleaned up a giant kegerator i picked up for a few bottles of beer. Threw a temp controller on it and its my perfect fermentation chamber... Pump came in, organizing it for a utility tool box in tandem with my chiller... Starting to streamline my setup to maximize brew day efficiency and less lifting

If you shop at brew wine hobby in east Hartford the focct meets every second Thursday. I know some people are from Middletown that come up

mpc88 said:
Hi, from Hartford, just started so don't beat me up just yet, :)

Welcome! Make anything yet? Read any good books? I believe that "how to brew" by mr. Palmer should be required reading, not to mention it being free.

Welcome! Make anything yet? Read any good books? I believe that "how to brew" by mr. Palmer should be required reading, not to mention it being free.

Careful though - the free edition is the first edition - the one in print at your local bookstore is the third edition, and there are definitely some differences and some more up-to-date info there. Worth the $20 or so.

I didn't realize that there were newer editions but it is pretty obvious there is some age on the info when you read it. Still all solid principals though. The black and white pictures are a dead give away, Ha!

I started with a kit from coopers, and I've made two batches so far....the already bought lager from Coopers and their dark ale. The first one came out ok, albeit weird tasting...while the dark alke I made on two different bottle when I bottled them...one came out better than the other. The ale i let ferment for about two months because it's darker amds I've read that the longer the fermentation, the better thet results.....i think I'd like to make a porter now so I'm looking at american suppliers to get my recipes

Hi, from Woodbury...I've had home brew talk for awhile and just discovered this local thread while awaiting a return flight in Geneva airport...

just wondering if any of the southern ct people would be interested in swapping some bottles?

mrskunk said:
just wondering if any of the southern ct people would be interested in swapping some bottles?

I'd love to, excellent idea!

Maybe setup a swap meet thread?

I'll need to hold off for several weeks; my pipeline is bone dry except for a 5 month apflewine

good idea,

btw myself and a few others are brewing at my house tomorrow in N. Stamford pm if you want to stop by. I don't have any bottled but I have a few kegs and plenty of pint glasses.

I'm in Trumbull and definitely would be down to get in in a bottle swap. Currently have a killer Irish car bomb stout

I need to bottle more beers, I keg everything now which makes swapping a pain.

Same over here. Go check out the we don't need your stinkin beer gun thread. I recently found some I bottled with a varied method after 5 weeks in a friends fridge and it was still carbed nicely.

My method:

-Flower the psi to barely any, around 1.5 - 2.
-stick your sanitized bottle up to the tap and fill as close as possible to the top.
The key here is to have about a half inch of head that foams over the bottle as controlled as possible. While it is still foaming I SLIDE my capper with a cap on it through the head, and cap it.

I then give the bottle a couple quick flips upside down. The idea is to keep the co2 agitated and foaming under the cap, keeping the small amount of oxygen at bay.

I consciously know and expect these not to keep like a bottled conditioned brew but they do very well. I've had no problem bottling a sixer for a friends and them lasting as long as needed(5 weeks is the longest I've tested now).

Additionally it's a bit messy if you do it right, as the beer kinda pours out all over the bottle but it does work very well.

Okay, so I know this post is old, but I am just catching up on our CT brewers thread...

I've seen a lot of DIY kegerator build pics and this is the sickest. You guys have clearly brought some SKILZ to the game. Very sweet!

I'd be up for some bottle swaps. I'm in Norwalk.

Not brewing this weekend - paying penance for my transgressions instead:

-sat a carboy on the granite counter-top during last brew session
-it had a little PBW pooled around the bottom
-sat there for a while, maybe 20-30 minutes
-when I finished cleaning up, it became evident that the PBW had stripped the finish off some areas of the granite (!)
-SWMBO was very mellow, but did ask me to fix it, a couple times

So, I just finished stripping and resealing two large counter tops. 4 hours :(

Moral of the story: brew in the garage if you can.

brewskerdoo said:
Yikes, I'm in Berlin too!! Been making the beers for a little over 3 years now I guess. Some of them even taste good :D

Cool! Yeah I've managed to make a few I've been proud of. But even the others I don't hear my friends complaining about!

But even the others I don't hear my friends complaining about!
haha yup definitely the power of free beer out weighs any urge the freeloader might have to point out flaws in my beers. Speaking of less than perfect beer, ever tried these Nelson Sauvin hops?
I bought a pound of them and after using them twice, I'm not a fan.
If you like them or feel like giving them a try, you can have the 8 - 12 oz of them i have left. Let me know. PM me or whatever.

Back