Calling Bergen County Home Brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Live in Garfield. Wife bought me a small beer machine from Brookstone 15 months ago; upgraded to two 5 gallon buckets in January. Brewed Irish Red Saturday night. My Irish Stout should be ready St. Paddys weekend.

Do we have a few people interested in meeting up this Saturday? Lets get a head count so we can make definite plans.

Also, this is what Boaks tweeted yesterday...
@BOAKSBeer: Stop by Andy's Corner bar in Bogota Tonight for the Jersey Assoc of Homebrewers Meeting 8pm @AndysCornerBar.

I've gone to a meeting about a year ago and they bring homebrews once a month to Boaks for tastings. What do you guys think about this?

Heya! Sorry for the delay, I was out of pocket a bit this week and didn't even notice this post! As it turns out, I am not available this weekend.... I am on vacation-prep duty.

I totally think you guys should get together either today or in the next three weekends. I have ordered a two-cooler all-grain setup because my automated system is progressing very slowly.......

Alright. Lets a date figured out. How about march 30. It's a few weeks away so people can clear their schedule out and plan for it. I know it's the day before Easter. Not sure if we just wanna do Andy's again or try something else. But let's get the date firmed up and then go from there.

I'm in for the 30th. Sorry I haven't been on the thread for a few days. Since we didn't have a good response for last weekend I figured I'd brew instead. I brewed up a Moose Drool Clone...has anyone tried this beer?

Moose Drool was a pretty good from what I remember, been a while since I had one. Cool name convinced me to try it

I brewed a clone of it from Austin home brew and it was pretty good. No idea if it was close to the real one or not but I did like it.

I can totally do the 30th.... andy's or three wise monks, no preference!

I did a moose drool clone last year (from an NB kit). It was very close to actual Moose Drool if you're patient with it. Kind of like with my fat tire clone, I found the fresh beer hop aromatics to be a bit too much. After a couple of conditioning weeks it was right in the zone, though, and stayed that way for a long time. I had it in bombers and finished my last one in early September from an early April brew.

I think it's a good beer and you'll enjoy it. For me, I think I'm gonna try to perfect the fat tire clone before I go back to it. I have been reading about New Belgium's yeast being a Belgian descendant (duh), which is nothing like what I used and probably the biggest reason for the flavor differential.

Damn you. Now I need to brew. I'm totally getting the itch.

Alright. So the 30th it is. Doesn't matter to me about the location, three wise monks is a decent place. The time I went they had a good selection of 8-10 beers on tap.

Sorry guys but change of plans on my part...I'm off all of next week and just booked a trip for a few days to Delaware and I'll be coming home that Saturday night so I wont be able to meet up. Going to visit the Dogfish Brewpub/Brewery!

So what time and where on saturday? I'd prefer something around 3-4 just because it's supposed to a pretty nice day, so i'd like to go on a hike in the AM. Andy's or Three Wise Monks?

Was only Jonathan and I, but the three wise monks should be our place from now on. Great beers on tap and both bartenders/owners were home brewers. They have been throwing around the idea of starting a homebrew club themselves, and seemed cool with the idea of bringing in homebrew as long as we shared with them.

question.... I seem to recall one of you gents being set up for lagering. Or maybe that was the beer talking? I had a lovely munich helles while on vacation, and a pils that was incredible, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

I think they have a simple bar menu. No idea about the quality of the food.

As for lagering I have a fermentation fridge that can handle the primary fermentation but from there most people keg and lager in the keg. I can't fit a corny in my fermentation chamber but I guess I could put it in my keezer to lager but it would prevent me from using one of my taps for 6 weeks or so.

I'm gonna make a shot at using a Munich helles grain bill with a dusseldorf alt yeast. I've fermented that cold and gotten a nice crisp almost lager character out of it. Was missing that slight sulfur component that lagers tend to have but I want something with a relatively quick turn around.

I am considering picking up two mini-fridges... One with heat/cool mods for fermentation and one with just cool for lagering. I was going to put it off for another season, but as much as I have been enjoying Munich helles and pils lately I am tempted just to suck it up.

In other news, my automated single-vessel system is taking waaaaaay longer than I thought it would (learning to weld, soldering my own electronics, and educating myself enough to design it all rather than following a plan). I am a total glutton for punishment. Anyways, I decided to do a v1.5 version of my brewery... Traditional two-coolers-and-a-kettle. Went with 10g coolers. My first beer in it will be a cream ale recipe altered from mad fermentationist. From there, maybe a Gose.

It is also easier to truck around for group brews. :)

The plan remains for the v2.0 super BIAB, but I will probably be brewing in it in August or September. I haven't brewed a thing since November, and I was jonesin' soooooo bad.

Alright guys. What's next? Wanna meet up sometime in the next few weeks?

Also mark may 4th on the calendars. That's the aha big brew day. I'll offer up my place for a group brew. We can all brew the same thing or make a big batch of wort and all use a different yeast or all do completely different stuff. Doesn't matter to me. I'll also fire up the smoker and have ribs or something to eat.

Lets brainstorm ideas of what to brew.

I am going to make my first lager here pretty soon. I have a mini fridge with a two stage and small ceramic heater. My kegerator is also large enough to store the beer in a keg for the 3-6 months needed without losing space for beer on tap. That is how i will be attempting my first lager.

hey guys
just found this thread. count me in for the meetings. i used to be with barley legal in sj but i immigrated to nnj.
is anyone going to the garden state brew fest on may 11th??

I'm hoping I can make it to the next meeting. I'm getting ready to start my keezer build. Still need to pick a few things out and find a place to fill up my C02 bottle.

Mistucky Creek Homebrew in Warwick, NY. They will exchange your 5# CO2 tank for i think $20.

I have never been to Cask and Kettle, but the guys in the group said its a good homebrew shop. I would think they would have something.

American compressed gas in bardonia ny. It's just a few miles across the ny border on what is basically the continuation of kinderkamack rd. they charge 12 bucks to trade a 5 lb tank. Best price by far I've found.

See you at the next meeting.

Also anyone up for a group brew day on may 5?

Heya Gents!

Is anyone familiar with "Bolero Snort" brewery? They're in Ridgefield Park (brewing is done at High Point in Butler). Just read about one of their beers, an American Black Lager, on Serious Eats.

As for may 5, I'm going to have to bow out of a long event.... I've gotten myself involved in a somewhat emergency bathroom renovation. While we'll probably just be wrapping up, I don't want to promise to participate and then have to bail. No matter what, though, I'll be able to swing by for a little while and maybe bring a couple of new brews to taste!

Did you plan on having a meeting this month?

Got my keggerator done. Ended up driving to New Brunswick Saturday morning to reliable carbonic. 15 bucks to fill my 10lbs tank. In and out in 5 minutes.

Is there any interest in doing something this weekend guys? Maybe three wise monks on Saturday afternoon. That place seems like they would be cool with bringing some homebrew in to taste also.

I think they open around 4, so maybe 4:30ish at three wise monks. We can discuss a group brew day also.

Heya gents! I apologize for being a bit incommunicado.... Unfortunately we are having to renovate a bathroom on an emergency basis. Had a water damage problem. Total drag, but I have managed a couple of brew days in the last couple of weeks. I should have a pre-prohibition cream ale and a Gose ready to drink in the next week or so, so hopefully I will be able to make one of these thing soon.

Thanks for carrying the northern jersey brewing banner in my stead!

Cheers,
-Blake

Back