Electric Light Burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper77

Reaction score
Anybody ever rig up an electric push button sparked to fire their burners? I'm considering doing it to mine because I keep losing my damn lighters. I assume I could use a replacement BBQ sparker?

I believe wal-mart has them in the camping section for coleman gas lanterns. we use to by them when we were building potato canons. They were the twist (flick). On second thought they may have used a flint. Either way it will definitely make a spark to start a fire.

I've seen people use these (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Electric-Ignitor-Kit/8587363) ignitor kits from wally world.

Yup. I have one of those on my rig with the "sparklers" screwed into tapped holes I drilled into the underside of my BG-14 burners.

Works great! No more bending over, trying to find the lighting hole in the wind screens, and flicking my Barbecue Bic while within "FFFOOOOM!!!" distance of propane ;)

Cheers!

I was on the Char-Broil website, with same idea, and they had a pretty cool selection of igniters. Pretty cheap as well. Might be worth a look for you as well.

davsow said:
I believe wal-mart has them in the camping section for coleman gas lanterns. we use to by them when we were building potato canons. They were the twist (flick). On second thought they may have used a flint. Either way it will definitely make a spark to start a fire.

Damn now I miss my potato gun. I used those flints as well. Ever dump cat littler down the barrel and make a shotgun?

Danno355 said:
I was on the Char-Broil website, with same idea, and they had a pretty cool selection of igniters. Pretty cheap as well. Might be worth a look for you as well.

It's decided. Yet another weekend project for me. Ill do some looking around. I'd like to mount the push button at arm level and ill need two on my 3 tier.

[...]I'd like to mount the push button at arm level and ill need two on my 3 tier.

If you use the model that was linked at Walmart, you might not need two whole systems. I spark two BG-14s off the single unit - it can actually fire three sparklers but I only have two burners. I mounted the module just under the top rail on my single tier and fire both sparklers at the same time.

No need for independent control of the spark, let 'em all rip together :D

Cheers!

Went by Wally World after work yesterday, they didn't have the battery operated one. They did have the mechanical one that most gas grills use, the spark generator is built into the button housing. Came with two different electrodes for under $11. The long electrode required careful bending to orient, but will mount into pre-existing holes on my Blichmann burner. Will grab a piece of aluminum to mount the button and I'm good to go.

Clicky, clicky....

20130410_212605.jpg

20130410_212627.jpg

20130410_212658.jpg

Brilliant idea. I seem to have a knack for breaking aim a flames (gone through 2 in 1 week), and flicking lighted matches seems a little hazardous not to mention with all these smoking bans its hard to find a bar with complementry match books anymore.

Yep, that was me. I didn't even know that they selected my submission until I got my issue in the mail....

This is exactly what I did on my Blichmann burner:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/blichmann-burner-ignitor-mod-452090/

The sparker electrode is mounted near the center, reducing flashback. Also, this one is battery powered and sparks about every 1/2 second when the pushbutton is held, so I can tend to the gas valve while holding down the button without worrying about if the burner has ignited. Works great, but I need to find one of those flame decals!

Back