When to add my nuts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disasterjustavoided

Reaction score
I'm planning to make some beers with added nut flavours such as hazlenut and wondered when to add the nuts. I'm making an infusion by adding some chopped hazlenuts into vodka and I was going to add a drop or two of that into the finished beer.

But what about adding nuts to the boil? Or dry nutting for maximum nut flavour?

Is dry nutting the same as tea-bagging? Can someone clarify? :tank:

But in all seriousness, here is a great article from BYO about brewing with nuts.
http://***********/component/resource/article/2611-brewing-gone-nuts

I laughed when i read the title, died when i read the post...amazing

Anyway if your doing AG which it doesn't sound like you are i would put a bunch in the mash.
If your an extract brewer i would throw them in a hop bag @Flameout and let them steep for 5-10 minutes.

Dont think dry nutting or tea bagging for that matter will get much flavor out.
Nuts are very oily so you most likely will have no head on the finished beer.
You can also use extract IMHO anything but fruit extracts tend to be less "fake"

Dang - should never read a post with "nuts" in the title during a staff meeting... :)

Ah useful advice cheers brewers. I can happily empty my nuts into my Mash tun then!

Syd James is alive and and kicking, or brewing:fro:

I take it this'll be the latest, long awaited, "carry on" film.

will it be titled "Carry on brewing", or, "Carry on nutting"???????:ban::ban::mug:

I'm planning to make some beers with added nut flavours such as hazlenut and wondered when to add the nuts. I'm making an infusion by adding some chopped hazlenuts into vodka and I was going to add a drop or two of that into the finished beer.

But what about adding nuts to the boil? Or dry nutting for maximum nut flavour?

Absolutely, positively, add the nuts AFTER chilling. Scalding is not something to be taken lightly.

MC

REAL ADVISE: Remember that whole nuts contain quite a bit of fat/lipids that will kill your head retention. Once you complete carbonation, don't be alarmed when you don't have any head.

TRANSLATED ADVISE: Don't forget that you won't get any head because of your nutz. Sometimes they just get in the way. :(

Back