blow off tube problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sauerj67

Reaction score
I put a blow off tube in my carboy as soon as I pitched my yeast, which I always do because I usually have a very aggressive fermentation. The problem came when I went to remove it, and this has never happened before, I started to pull it out and it sucked some of the water(~1/4 of a gallon) back through the tube and into my fermentor!!!
Did I just "F!!!" up my batch?

Thanks for the help everyone.:confused:

Hmm. Was it clean water or did it have blowoff in it? Clean water might not be a problem, there is alcohol in the beer. My blowoff water gets pretty gunky sometimes. I would be concerned if five-day old gunky water got pulled back in.

Lucky I just changed the water in the blow-off container Thursday morning, and it didn't blow-off anything after I had changed the water. Soooo it was some what clean but definitely not sterilized.

You have alcohol in the beer - you are OK; self sanitizing.

If it had been old with some 'blow-off' in it, it would be a concern since it would be sure to have actobacteria in it.

That is what I am coming to, Keg it and forget it. You guys are right, it has alcohol in it already, it wasn't the dirty blow-off water, and yes I will learn to be more careful with my hose not to play with it to much.

thanks guys

Just an update.
kegged this beer this afternoon, and it tastes fine, actually better than fine.
damn :D

Back