Removing Ring Clip from Keg Question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I'm trying to convert a half keg for mashing. The first step is to remove the ring clip. I have read you just use a nail or screw driver. Well, it bent the nail and broke the screw driver. My question is do I need to do this? If I'm cutting the top off anyways why cant I just leave keg spear in place? It will come out when I cut the top off right? Thanks for the input.

I thought it would as well. But it is stuck. And I know there is no more pressure in the keg. I pushed the ball in as far it will go and nothing else is coming out.

I had issues also. I bent the tip of a very slim flathead screwdriver. I ended up using a screwdriver to push the ring clip over to one side as far as it could go and then levering it out enough to lock a pair of vice grips onto the clip. It yanked out in two or three tries. It was a real PITA.

You need to use 2 screwdrivers, the clip is actually two layers/rows, use a small one to move the top layer of the clip out and put the slightly larger screwdriver behind it and slowly work it arround the circle pushing it toward the center and up. Once you get about 1/2 revolution it should come out easy.

1stTimer said:
I'm trying to convert a half keg for mashing. The first step is to remove the ring clip. I have read you just use a nail or screw driver. Well, it bent the nail and broke the screw driver. My question is do I need to do this? If I'm cutting the top off anyways why cant I just leave keg spear in place? It will come out when I cut the top off right? Thanks for the input.

What brand keg is it? The some Miller and euro kegs unthread and have a safety catch under the ball. They are kinda a PITA unless you know what your doin. The AB kegs just line up the two tabs after pulling the retaining ring. But yes you could just cut it and leave it assembled.

Back