How long is too long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cream ale I brewed a week ago. I was going to rack it to secondary tonight but my family is off for vacation for a week and I have to hurry and pack for the trip. I dont think there is anything bad with leaving it another week but I figured I would ask.

TIA,
billpa

I've left beers in primary buckets for three weeks without any issue whatsoever. It's fine, I'd personally be comfortable stretching that up to a month (probably not much longer than that). Almost every time I brew, the beer sits in primary (until very recently, always in a bucket) for at least two weeks (I'm lazy, I hate racking).

I would say a month, no problem, in a well-sealed bucket. Longer would be OK in a carboy. Depending on the beer, there may be little use for a secondary if it's been three weeks or more.

I've heard about not using a secondary at all and I'm trying it out on my next few beers. 3 weeks in primary, then bottle (glass carboy)

Leave it.

That's all I'd say except that I need more characters than that to meet the ten minimum. I think this takes care of it.

Ok, I lied

I routinely leave primaries for 2 weeks or longer. Partly out of time constraints, partly just to let the yeast do their thing. Two or even three weeks is not even coming close to autolysisville.

Where are you going on vacation? Can we come?
Are we there yet?
I have to pee!
Yooper Chick won't stay on her side!
Are we there yet?

the beer will be just fine.....

olllllo said:
He'll be back from vacation and we'll still be yammering about how OK it is to leave it in the primary!
And at that time it will still be fine to keep it there.

Back