1st AG- can someone check my procedure/numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
Can some of the AG pro's do a check for me on my first AG.

Brewed this Columbus APA yesterday. (note: collected 7 gal.)
Malt Max ppg my max ppg
9# 2-row 37 37x9=333 / 7 =47.5
1# Munich 35 35x1=35 / 7= 5
2 oz Cara Munich 32 32x .125 / 7= .57
1 oz Special B 31 31x .0625 / 7= .27
8oz Crystal 20L 35 35 x .5 / 7= 26
Mash at 152 for 60 min Total= 55.84
target OG 1.052

Procedure thus far.
I wound up mashing for 80 min, due to undershooting the temp at the beginning (infused 12.5 qts. at 165, it dropped to 147, then down to 140 at the 15 min. mark).
At the 30 min. mark, I added 3.25 qts and it came up to 152 and then dropped to 149.
I reheated some wort and brought it up to 154 and it settled at 151.5 for the last 25 min.

(Next time I'll preheat the my round cooler and make sure its 165, before adding grain)

My calculations for my efficiency show 87%?? . Is this right??
I measured 1.049 OG on my cooled sample (65 deg), so 49/55.84 = 87%

Also, at 11hr, no sign of activity for my WLP001 Cali yst starter, pitched at 70 deg.
I aerated prior to pitching by shaking for 5-10min and then I re-shook this morning.
If there's no activity by the time I get home (23 hrs post pitch), should I just pitch a new vial of Cali yst?

In summary:
1. How's my procedure?
2. Efficiency calculation
3. Re-pitch?

First, that looks like a mighty fine recipe--whoever designed it must really know what they're doing ;)

I suspect your efficiency calculation is not correct, BTW. You computed theoretical gravity at 100% as 7 gallons at 1.05584.

But your measured gravity of 1.049 was after boiling it down to 5 gallons (or whatever), correct?

To calculate efficiency, calculate total gravity points at 100% efficiency (gravity * volume of wort) and divide your actual gravity points (gravity * volume of wort) by the 100% figure.

Yes sir, it is a fine recipe. :D
I did have to go with Centenial hops, as my LHBS didn't have Columbus.
And I made a mistake and added my 3/4 oz addition for dry hopping at the last 5min of the boil, so
I'll have to pick up some more to dry hop with. Maybe I inadvertently made a Centenial IPA ;)
Ok, so if I take the max potential (55 x 7 gal=385) and my actual (49x5.5 gal=269.5) I get 269.5/385= 70% (much more likely number)

No mention of a starter, to get the yeast rolling. If not, you have a five gallon starter. It ought to be roaring by the time you get home. If not, don't wait. I'd use Nottingham, it doesn't need a starter, just re-hydration for a few minutes. It's good to keep a couple envelopes on hand.

megavites said:
Yes sir, it is a fine recipe. :D
I did have to go with Centenial hops, as my LHBS didn't have Columbus.
And I made a mistake and added my 3/4 oz addition for dry hopping at the last 5min of the boil, so
I'll have to pick up some more to dry hop with. Maybe I inadvertently made a Centenial IPA ;)
Ok, so if I take the max potential (55 x 7 gal=385) and my actual (49x5.5 gal=269.5) I get 269.5/385= 70% (much more likely number)

Yeah, that does look more likely.

I really like to work with total gravity points. I always take a reading after collecting the wort. Let's say I collect 7.5 gallons at 1.040.

That's 7.5 * 40 = 300 gravity points

I figure 6 gallon batches (really more like 5.75 in the fermenter, after hops absorbtion, system loss). So 300 / 6 = 50.

If 50 was my target gravity, I'm home free. (In fact, I usually don't bother taking a hydrometer reading after the boil.)

Now, if my target was 56, I have choices. I could add 6 points worth of DME, or I could do nothing and live with a slightly lower OG, or I could boil to a lower volume to hit the target OG. (This last option is what I would probably do.)

It's a simple solve-for-x situation:

300 = 56 * x (where x is my final volume)

x = 5.35

So I'd just boil a little harder and shoot for just over 5 gallons in the fermenter (about 5.35 after hops absorbtion & system loss).

Gotcha! thankyou sir.
Oh, I failed to mention one other addition...hence the name..
Dog Hair Pale Ale

OK,
so I discovered another minor error.
Make sure you fill the airlock up enough so that you'll notice
CO2 escaping!
So it looks like I had a 15-16hr lag time.
Currently (26hr post pitch) I have an inch of Krausen,
active airlock (1/sec) and swirling/rising/falling in the wort.
All looks well. :D

Back