Brewing in the sun??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am well aware that prolonged exposure to sun can skunk your finished beer. What about as you are boiling?? I brew outside and wondering if I need to set up some sort of shade. Maybe I am just being a little too cautious:confused: Thanks. Al

I set up an EZ UP when I brew in the driveway not for the beer but for me .

After fermentation is when beer will skunk when exposed to UV light

It's only AFTER the beer is fermented, that sunlight is an issue. It's a reaction to the isomerized alpha acids from the hops.

Beer has been brewed out doors for millenia, relax.

You think this guy is worried? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only AFTER the beer is fermented, that sunlight is an issue. It's a reaction to the isomerized alpha acids from the hops.

Beer has been brewed out doors for millenia, relax.

You think this guy is worried? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAU4bhjCB08

Can't it be an issue WHILE the beer is fermenting?

I keep my fermenters covered, just in case.

Can't it be an issue WHILE the beer is fermenting?

I keep my fermenters covered, just in case.

I should have said when alcohol is present. I too keep the carboy covered up.

Not to often do I beat Revvy:rockin::D

Edit: wasnt fast enough on the second draw though...

I like that guys attitude "I use these ingredients and I get what I get "

I should have said when alcohol is present. I too keep the carboy covered up.

Not to often do I beat Revvy:rockin::D

Edit: wasnt fast enough on the second draw though...

I like that guys attitude "I use these ingredients and I get what I get "

I and a guy I met through vintage base-ball are going to start doing colonial era brewing demos just like that starting in 2011.

you going with modern yeast or wild ?

Haven't thought that far ahead yet. We might be pairing up with a baker at the events (come in under his application) and may go with baker's yeast, evidently some of the "commercial" brewing was done by the village baker, in the voyageur settlements. So that may make it easier. Gotta talk to guys like the one in the video about whether or not they rack covertly to a modern fermenter after the demo is done, or if they use crocks or what. It should be fun to do.

Cool make sure you post some videos. I am thinking about setting a two gallon batch in the apple orchard that is next to my house for a few days till I see fermentation. Just a bucket with some sort of wire mesh to keep critters/bugs out .

Back