5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon brewpot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Other than the obvious increase in evaporation, would there be any drawbacks to doing a 6.5-7 gallon full boil in a 15 gallon pot. I am going to finally be making my brewpot purchase, and I want to have the ability to brew an occasional 10 gallon batch in the future.

I was curious to know if there would be any problems with the extra large pot for a 5 gallon batch?

BTW, think I am goinig to go w/morebeers BE315, any reviews from those who might have one?

This is exactly what I do (and anyone who uses a keggle, come to think of it).

You'll just have to recalibrate your system for the difference in boil-off. I aim for 8 gallons pre-boil for 6 gallons cold, transferring 5.5 to the fermenter.

Awesome, I assume with a 5 gallon batch even with ~8gallons boilovers aren't really an issue.

Or are they still something to be concerned about?

Awesome, I assume with a 5 gallon batch even with ~8gallons boilovers aren't really an issue.

Or are they still something to be concerned about?

Shouldn't be, but if you're not looking for one, you'll have one!

The only issue I had with boiling only 5 gallons in my keggle is my stupid wort chiller didn't sit right. Well, actually, it did, but I have a leaky hose/fitting that usually just drips over the side of the pot. Since the keggle is so bit, the whole contraption goes into the keggle. Not an issue, for others, but for me it was a PITA. For tomorrow's brew, I need to work out something else for my wort chiller fitting.

My point is (and I do have one!) that the brew will boil just fine, but you may have some other issues, like the chiller, or a burner issue. Do a quick test run with the burner/pot/chiller, etc so you know in advance if you'll have any surprises.

Back