Steeping Grains Time Frame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maveric777

Reaction score
OK folks, I am sitting here trying my first brew that involves steeping grains. I am attempting to bring it up to 170 deg. in a 30 minute time frame (as stated in my directions)

I am using a glass top stove here in the kitchen (I know that sucks but hindered by weather to brew on fish cooker.)

I am afraid my temp wont hit 170 by 30 minutes. I have 15 min left and only at 120. My question is... Do I wait till it hits 170 or just take it off at the 30 min mark?

Thanks for any help on this.

Don't stop at the 30 minute mark. You need to get the grain temp up to 150 or so, and keep it above 150 for 20 - 30 minutes.

If you can't get your steeping grains up to temperature, how are you going to manage the boil?

-a.

It will eventually come up. It's steadily coming up right now, but I was worried I had to get the grains out at exactly 30 minutes. My kitchen stove is a slow poke...lol

Thanks for the info Ajf!

I do grains from once I have water in the kettle all the way to when it hits 155ish then I pull them, my next batch I'm going to try to keep them in at 155ish for about 10-20 mins.

I put mine in at 150, then put the burner on low. Do not let the temp get above 170F or you can introduce tanic flavors from the husks. Towards the last five minutes I will turn the burner on full blast again to save some time. On a stove it can take awhile (45min +) to get up to boiling.

Thanks for the info yall! I waited 2 hours and never came to boil.... So here I am in the garage on the fish cooker. Made a mental note to go straight to fish cooker next time and skip the stove...lol

Thanks for the info yall! I waited 2 hours and never came to boil.... So here I am in the garage on the fish cooker. Made a mental note to go straight to fish cooker next time and skip the stove...lol

What I do is boil 1g...then add another...boil....then add another...boil...then go for steeping. Assuming you have a 3g boil? But you get the picture, it would take a hell of a long time to boil 3g off the stove and it takes enough time as it is boiling one at a time.

Back