Had to move beer in primaries 30 miles... any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damonic

Reaction score
So I had a batch of Apfelwein and a batch of wheat fermenting in primaries. My life has been crazy busy due to having to move and I simply did not have enough time to bottle or keg these batches. They had been sitting in the primaries for almost 2 months and had settled out nicely. I removed the airlocks and plugged the carboys, gently moved them to the car, and strapped them in with plenty of padding around. They got shook up a little going over 2 sets of railroad tracks but made the trip fine otherwise.

My question is, should I do anything special to help them settle out again? Cold crash and rack? I didn't want to stir up all that trub but my hand was forced. I'm sure the beer is fine, just figured I'd ask for advice.

I'm in the same boat man, got to move, but not far. Got 6 gallons of mead and 3 gallons of cider in primary that need to move. I'm brewing a few beers at my parents place this weekend so they can have a stable environment ;)

Figured I would update as a service to any schmuck that happens to do the same. Quite simply... both batches ended up fine. RDWHAHB !!!

that would be sweet to get pulled over with 2 carboy's of apfelwein and and several cases of empty bottles.

"don't mind me officer - I'm a homebrewer"

Yeah, trunk you arefine, had it been the bed of a pickup...an a$$hole cop would have made life miserable.

Back