High FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbankert

Reaction score
I've got a German ale brewing, it's been fermenting for almost 3 weeks. I took a reading 5 days ago and it was at 1.020, today I took another one and it was about the same. Should I go ahead and bottle anyway, or is there a chance it will still go down? OG was 1.048

If it's been the same for 5+ days, it's probably not going to drop anymore on its own. You could give the fermenter a few sloshes around to get some of the yeast back into suspension and hope that it kicks off again.

It will probably drop a few points in secondary as well.

What's the recipe and was it AG or extract.
Mash temp, yeast used, fermentation temps, etc......

The more info you can give us the more likely we can come up with some answers.

Sounds like a stuck fermentation.

I concur with ohiobrewtus that you should slosh it around a bit to get the yeast back into suspension.

Check it after a few day to see if the gravity drops any.

With an OG of 48 your FG should be 12. ;)

I find that "sloshing" isn't really the best way to rouse the yeast. My technique is to put the carboy on a carpet floor (or a towel) and spin it in one direction, then immediatly spin it in the opposite direction. The spinning action created does a good job of kicking the yeast back up into the brew, but you have much less sloshing and risk of aeration.

Madtown Brew said:
I find that "sloshing" isn't really the best way to rouse the yeast. My technique is to put the carboy on a carpet floor (or a towel) and spin it in one direction, then immediatly spin it in the opposite direction. The spinning action created does a good job of kicking the yeast back up into the brew, but you have much less sloshing and risk of aeration.

Not to argue with you, but most if not all the O2 should have been purged during fermentation, correct? There should be no concerns with oxidation at this point if an airlock is in place...

Your swirling method will work fine regardless.

WC87 said:
Not to argue with you, but most if not all the O2 should have been purged during fermentation, correct? There should be no concerns with oxidation at this point if an airlock is in place...

Your swirling method will work fine regardless.

Yep, you're correct.

IDK why I added in the aeratioon bit - not a concern at that point. I do still maintain that the "swirl" technique does a better job of rousing the yeast than a sloshing. At least, in my rather limited experience.

To each their own.

Back