maybe a saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I want to brew a farmhouse ale and have seen several different recipes and really can't decide what to go with.
Here is an idea. Please feel free to reconstruction this any way you want.

5# pilsner malt
2# white wheat
2# flaked corn
1/2# carapils
1/2#munich malt
6oz crystal 60°

French saison wyeast #3711

Still haven't decided on hops.
Any and all thoughts are very much appreciated

Why the corn and the carapils? Generally, I thought one would want a lighter bodied beer for a saison. I'd skip the corn and carapils, and maybe even the C60, in favor of vienna, and up the amount of pilsner and wheat. Also, if you want more alcohol without adding body, you can add some candi sugar.

As far as hops, I brewed a saison yesterday with a bit of Citra FWH and some East Kent Goldings as flavor and aroma. My reasoning was that the tropical fruit notes of the citra would play well with the saison character and a bit of the brett (I used WLP670, which is a blend with Brett B iirc), and EK Goldings is just a good saison hop from what I read. Saaz is also a good choice, too.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info..this is actually a recipe taken out of the BYO magazine..I thought it seemed a little muddled but most the the recipes had these grains in them..maybe not altogether though.
guess my search for a solid recipe continues

Ok ...here is the revised version....
8# pilsner
2# dark Munich
2# white wheat malt
1/2# caramunich

1/2 oz Columbus. (60)
1/2 oz hallertau. (15)
1/2 oz hallertau. (FO)

Does this look ok???

Here is my recipe: It was well received by everyone at a beer tasting my gf had a few months ago

10 lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt
1 lbs Belgian Candy Sugar Light
1 lbs Briess Caramel 20L
8 oz Belgian Biscuit Malt

1.75 oz Liberty at 60 mins 4.3 AA
.5 oz Liberty at 20 mins 4.3 AA
.75 oz Liberty at 10 mins 4.3 AA

IBU at 32

Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

Boid for 15 minutes the following:
.5 oz Crushed Coriander
1/4 tsp Grains of Paradise