Water that's been sitting out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but I'm a paranoid brewer. I always pull my water 24-48 hours in advance to let the chlorine dissipate off. My brew day got delayed and by the time I use the water, it will have sat out for 4 days.

Does anything change in tap water (mineral profile-wise) when it's sat out for several days or should I be just fine using this?

is it sealed? I'd be worried about airborne contaminants more than anything.

Not sealed. It's just 20 gallons of water sitting in kettles in my basement.

Would contaminants matter in all pre-boil water?

I realize it's just water and I have no problem pulling new water but now I'm just curious about the answer to this.

I do the same thing, but toss a towel over the pot thinking that it will let the chlorine out, but not let bad stuff in.

I'd be worried about solid contaminates (bug, dust . . ) not bacteria.

In your case, if there was a lot of evaporation the mineral content could be effected, so I'd dump it. Otherwise, if it was visually clean, I'd use it.

The only thing to be concerned about would be bacteria growing in the water. Where there is CO2 and water that seems to be enough. In a few days the growth won't amount to much and you are going to boil it but over time bacterial slime can become noticeable.

Back