Kolsch Extract Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleinen

Reaction score
I have had my Kolsch in the primary for 2 weeks now at 68 degrees. I am using the Kolsch yeast. Should I just leave it in the primary at 68 or should I move it to my Keezer which is set to 40 degrees? I am new to brewing yet and not real familiar with Kolsch

I have had my Kolsch in the primary for 2 weeks now at 68 degrees. I am using the Kolsch yeast. Should I just leave it in the primary at 68 or should I move it to my Keezer which is set to 40 degrees? I am new to brewing yet and not real familiar with Kolsch

I brew a LOT with Kolsch, its my house strain which I wash and re-use. Not sure about WLP029 but I use Wyeast 2565 and its very slow floccuating yeast. Crash cool for a week usually helps at the end of fermentation, colder the better. Sometimes I don't transfer it to secondary, let it ride for 3-4 weeks and then it goes to the keg to settle out. 68F is way too warm for this strain, around 58-60F you get best results with 2565, I heard WLP029 does better at warmer temperatures.

A true kolsch needs to be lagered at near freezing. 4 weeks @ 32 is what I prefer. It is a very non-flocculent yeast and will take its sweet time to clear. Preferably you would have also fermented it quite a bit cooler than 68 (I like 60-62).

cleinen said:
I am using the 2565. So I have probably already messed it up?

It'll probably be good, just not the best it could possibly be. Don't worry about it. I think letting it sit for a few weeks @ 40F would be a good idea.

How does letting it sit at current temp for another week for a total of 3 and then put it in the keezer at 40 degrees for another 3 weeks?

Latest posts

Back