American IPA Deaf Turtle (Blind Pig clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
I have not done a side by side comparison yet but on it\'s own this a mighty fine beer
I made this beer and another APA out of the same mash, I based the grain bill on this beer though. Because of this, my efficiency went off the charts and I over shot the OG by 6 points and had a extra 2 gallons to go with it but I certainly like the results.

Vinny at Russian River use to brew the Blind Pig IPA when he worked at the Blind Pig brewery in San Diego. He has changed the recipe a bit to incorporate Simcoe and Amarillo hops and man is it good.

The grain bill I used was

88% 2-row
5% Cara-pils
3.5% C40
3.5% Wheat Malt

Here is the recipe based on 75% efficiency
Also, Russian River lists the OG at 1.060 so you could shoot for that to be closer to the real thing, I like this as is.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.20 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 76.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.51 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.14 %
0.66 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.08 %
0.44 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.44 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.75 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (90 min) Hops 61.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.06 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.32 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Last edited by a moderator:
Recipe looks good! How does it look/taste/smell? Any pics?

How does it compare to Blind Pig?

I recently brewed an IPA with a different but similar grain bill. The hop bill was all Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo.

It's in the primary right now and already smells great. I am planning to dry hop it this weekend too. I can't wait to taste it.

Recipe looks good! How does it look/taste/smell? Any pics?

How does it compare to Blind Pig?

I recently brewed an IPA with a different but similar grain bill. The hop bill was all Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo.

It's in the primary right now and already smells great. I am planning to dry hop it this weekend too. I can't wait to taste it.

This is my best bitter to date (APA, IPA and IIPAs included). Let's just put it this way, When I took the frist sip, I thought to myself, I will be making another batch of this ;)

The smell is amazing and the taste is even better.

I don't have a Blind Pig now and they don't sell them in my city even though I am 4 hours from Russian River :mad: but from my memory, it is pretty darn close, but like I said, my gravity is a few points higher, on the other hand, I knew this going into the boil and adjusted the hops to account for the higher gravity.

No Blind Pig in Central Cali? That sucks! There is plenty of it here in So Cal...

Well, that's the beauty of brewing your own, if you can get it locally, you can always try to clone it.

Glad to hear your brew came out great.

The irony is that they are distributed by Stone, which is based in San Diego, so living close to RR is actually a disadvantage. :eek:

But do yourself a favor and try their standard IPA, only on tap, doesn't really have a name. Yummy and you can pound that stuff.

No Blind Pig in Central Cali? That sucks! There is plenty of it here in So Cal...

Well, that's the beauty of brewing your own, if you can get it locally, you can always try to clone it.

Glad to hear your brew came out great.

The irony is that they are distributed by Stone, which is based in San Diego, so living close to RR is actually a disadvantage. :eek:

But do yourself a favor and try their standard IPA, only on tap, doesn't really have a name. Yummy and you can pound that stuff.

I have had their standard ipa too, mighty tasty for sure. This beer is my favorite homebrew so far. I had a friend text me today to say he had been thinking about my blind pig clone all day because he loved it and he only drinks ipas and iipas. Put a tear in my eye ;)

What did your FG gravity end up being? My efficiency was a little low for some reason on this brew and I got a lower OG (OG 1.052). After just a week in the primary I took a gravity reading and it's already at 1.019. I'm a little worried that it is going to finish to low and not have enough maltiness for the large amount of IBU's.

I'm thinking I should rack now to the secondary and dry hop for the next 10 days and then rack to my keg. Any thoughts and advice would be great.

Also did you use gelatin on this brew? Thanks for the recipe. Gravity reading tasted great nice hops aroma and bitterness really looking forward to this one.

EDIT: Took another reading and it was down to 1.010 racked it, dry hopped it and hopefully it won't finish to low.

What did your FG gravity end up being? My efficiency was a little low for some reason on this brew and I got a lower OG (OG 1.052). After just a week in the primary I took a gravity reading and it's already at 1.019. I'm a little worried that it is going to finish to low and not have enough maltiness for the large amount of IBU's.

I'm thinking I should rack now to the secondary and dry hop for the next 10 days and then rack to my keg. Any thoughts and advice would be great.

Also did you use gelatin on this brew? Thanks for the recipe. Gravity reading tasted great nice hops aroma and bitterness really looking forward to this one.

EDIT: Took another reading and it was down to 1.010 racked it, dry hopped it and hopefully it won't finish to low.

oh no, 1.052? It sounds like you might have a really hoppy pale ale there. Mine went from 1.066 to 1.012, this was an overshoot on the gravity as I was shooting for 1.060 but it turned out mighty tasty.

I have had their standard ipa too, mighty tasty for sure. This beer is my favorite homebrew so far. I had a friend text me today to say he had been thinking about my blind pig clone all day because he loved it and he only drinks ipas and iipas. Put a tear in my eye ;)

beer is like movies, the good ones stay with you and bounce around in your head for a few days after.

I know I'm digging this up, but where was the hop adjustment made? Just the 90min I assume, but wondering if I were to aim for 1.060. Thanks.

I know I'm digging this up, but where was the hop adjustment made? Just the 90min I assume, but wondering if I were to aim for 1.060. Thanks.

You could remove a bit of the first addition and double what you removed and put that in a late addition to bring out the hops more. Say if you removed .25oz, add .5oz in addition to the other late additions.

In hindsight would you recommend this as a good BP recipe? I've searched high and low and yours is the only new style BP recipe that I am seeing. Is the SRM really 6? Seems a bit low for BP, although the grains are the same as PTE, which when I brewed also had a low SRM.

In hindsight would you recommend this as a good BP recipe? I've searched high and low and yours is the only new style BP recipe that I am seeing. Is the SRM really 6? Seems a bit low for BP, although the grains are the same as PTE, which when I brewed also had a low SRM.

It has been a while since I brewed this and like I mentioned, I overshot the OG but turned out as a fantastic IPA. The information I used to make this beer came from Vinnie so it is as close as I could come :D

I just pulled my first pint of this tonight. I've never had Blind Pig, but damn this is a tasty brew. I adjusted the grain bill for my system to get 1.060 OG, and scaled the chinook addition for a 60 minute boil and and estimated 55 IBU (Tinseth). I also ended up leaving it on dry hops for 16 days and the aroma is out of this world. Thanks for the post, I will definitely be brewing this again.

I just pulled my first pint of this tonight. I've never had Blind Pig, but damn this is a tasty brew. I adjusted the grain bill for my system to get 1.060 OG, and scaled the chinook addition for a 60 minute boil and and estimated 55 IBU (Tinseth). I also ended up leaving it on dry hops for 16 days and the aroma is out of this world. Thanks for the post, I will definitely be brewing this again.

Thanks, sounds like it came out pretty darn good!

Thanks humann, I brewed this on 1/28 and kegged on 2/11. I'm drinking it as I type this and....wow! It looks and tastes spot-on!

Deaf-Pig2.jpg

Again, thanks for the recipe humann!

I entered this one in my first AHA qualifying comp. (14b American IPA) and thought I'd share.

I made it into the finals, no ribbon though :( and with over 70 IPA entries, I was happy to get that far and receive feedback from the judges.

This beer scored:
-3/3 with all judges for Appearance
-4/5 for three judges and 5/5 for one judge on Mouthfeel
-7/12 average for Aroma
-14/20 average for Flavor
-7/10 average for Overall Impression

Some noted a slight paper taste and suspected oxidation. I am wondering if this was from bottling from the keg??? The more I think about it, I sure of it because they sat for two weeks in the bottles before being judged. I was careful, but did it with a picnic tap and wand. hummmm???If they only could have pulled a pint from my keg I bet I'd had a ribbon.

Here are some comments:

"Clear copper -nice, good retention"
"more of a high-alcohol pale ale that an IPA"
"well balanced hop/malt bill"
"more late hopping suggested"
"nice all around palate taste, hoppy forefront drops to malt after. nice abv."
"highly drinkable but a bit old based on the aroma"
"less hops mid boil and more at the beginning"
"looking for more pungent American hops in the dry hop"

From a BJCP Grand Master II : "Some paper, earthy (moderate) with some beadings and biscuit aroma. no dms. a touch of alcohol. Too mild, overall for the style".

Again, thanks for the recipe humann!

I entered this one in my first AHA qualifying comp. (14b American IPA) and thought I'd share.

I made it into the finals, no ribbon though :( and with over 70 IPA entries, I was happy to get that far and receive feedback from the judges.

This beer scored:
-3/3 with all judges for Appearance
-4/5 for three judges and 5/5 for one judge on Mouthfeel
-7/12 average for Aroma
-14/20 average for Flavor
-7/10 average for Overall Impression

Some noted a slight paper taste and suspected oxidation. I am wondering if this was from bottling from the keg??? The more I think about it, I sure of it because they sat for two weeks in the bottles before being judged. I was careful, but did it with a picnic tap and wand. hummmm???If they only could have pulled a pint from my keg I bet I'd had a ribbon.

Here are some comments:

"Clear copper -nice, good retention"
"more of a high-alcohol pale ale that an IPA"
"well balanced hop/malt bill"
"more late hopping suggested"
"nice all around palate taste, hoppy forefront drops to malt after. nice abv."
"highly drinkable but a bit old based on the aroma"
"less hops mid boil and more at the beginning"
"looking for more pungent American hops in the dry hop"

From a BJCP Grand Master II : "Some paper, earthy (moderate) with some beadings and biscuit aroma. no dms. a touch of alcohol. Too mild, overall for the style".

Very nice, this sounds pretty typically, I mean this is a very nice, tasty IPA, but not over the top, this is a good almost session IPA if you actually brew it to 1.060 gravity.

I'm glad I found this thread! I was at RR back in June and actually liked Blind Pig more than Pliney. (OK, you may all ridicule me now, but everyone has their own taste). I just went to the LHBS to get everything for a 10gallon batch. The only thing is they didn't have Amarillo Gold, so I'm just going with more Centennial. I might have some Amarillo at home but I'm not sure. Either way I'm pretty excited about it.

I'm glad I found this thread! I was at RR back in June and actually liked Blind Pig more than Pliney. (OK, you may all ridicule me now, but everyone has their own taste). I just went to the LHBS to get everything for a 10gallon batch. The only thing is they didn't have Amarillo Gold, so I'm just going with more Centennial. I might have some Amarillo at home but I'm not sure. Either way I'm pretty excited about it.

you could probably sub cascade too, or just mix cascade/centennial to muttle up the mixture and blur the substitute with 2 hops that are kinda close.

Did you end up brewing this SlowFro? How did it turn out?

Hi human,

Do you know an extract version of this? I'm looking to do one over the holidays.

Thanks
Ayup!

2 out of the 3 non base malts only need to be steeped for just steep the Cara-Pils and C40 and put in a splash of wheat extract if you want.

Use enough extract to get to 1.060 by the end of the boil and steep the specialties and then the same hops.

This would be an easy extract conversion.

88% 2-row
5% Cara-pils
3.5% C40
3.5% Wheat Malt

Sorry humann I'm a newby, could you be a little more specific on the malts and specialty grains? What do you recommend for the main extract? And what qty? And the specialty grains are cara, c40 and wheat malt, but what quantity of each? I guess I need to know how to determine amount of bulk extract that would give the required SG and from that work out the rest. Sorry for these probably basic questions. But thanks.

Ayup!

Sorry humann I'm a newby, could you be a little more specific on the malts and specialty grains? What do you recommend for the main extract? And what qty? And the specialty grains are cara, c40 and wheat malt, but what quantity of each? I guess I need to know how to determine amount of bulk extract that would give the required SG and from that work out the rest. Sorry for these probably basic questions. But thanks.

Ayup!

no problem, I go the following from http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe a free online recipe calculator since I don't have beersmith in from of me.

for 5.5 gallons into the fermentor
7.5lbs of dried Malt extract (unhopped) like briess if your looking for a brand
.5lb of carapils/dextrine crushed
.5lbs of Crystal 40L crushed

If you don't have wheat extract or don't want to buy 3 pounds just to use a 1/2 pound I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a friend that has some or your store will sell you a small amount like that, you could toss in a 1/2 of wheat extract and take the base DME down to 7lbs instead of 7.5.

Are you able to do a full boil?

If so you can leave the hops the same, if not, you will need to put quite a bit more in as you will be diluting it with water in the fermentor.

Hope this helps but let me know if you have more questions.

Cool, yeah that helps. I can do full boil so shall give this a try soon.thanks again.

Ayup!

humann_brewing said:
I am sure it will still be tasty though.

Yes, it is!

I dry hopped it a little more (5oz amarillo 4 days) and soaked 8oz of French oak cubes for 24 hrs. This lands somewhere between Pig and Pliny with a little edge from the oaking.

image-2244830630.jpg

Yes, it is!

I dry hopped it a little more (5oz amarillo 4 days) and soaked 8oz of French oak cubes for 24 hrs. This lands somewhere between Pig and Pliny with a little edge from the oaking.

very nice! it is funny the grain bills are pretty much the same between Blind pig and Pliny it is just all about gravity and hops to show the difference.

Looks tasty!

Back