LME/Cracked Grains - How long do they last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewflyfish

Reaction score
I made an order back in March for some milled specialty grains (~2lbs) and some LME (~5lbs) from AHBS. Well I never got around to making that particular batch because a couple other recipes jumped up to the top of the list.

Now it's a bit too hot for me to ferment that style of beer, and those ingredients have been sitting in the fridge for about 4 months. So I have two main questions: how long are the ingredients still viable? what happens to the beer if I use the old ingredients?

i.e.,

How long does LME last in the refrigerator? As it ages what happens to it? Should I still use it? If so, what might I expect to be different?

How about the milled grains? Will they still be good for steeping or should I just toss them and take the loss? If they're bad, why? What happens to the milled grains that doesn't happen to unmilled?

Thanks Vic, I actually LOVE the "Similar Threads" thing below. By typing up my question and posting it, this system automatically gave me postings that answered my question....much better than searching the forum for a few keywords.

Anyway, the LME is in a big white bucket from Austin Homebrew. It's been in the fridge the whole time.

I hate to throw it all away, but I guess this is a lesson. If I'm gonna spend money on ingredients I better brew it soon!

In retrospect, I'm on the fence about this. I will throw out the milled grains but what about the LME?

I'm brewing up a saison tomorrow and the LME is just the right amount for it. It's been in a sealed white bucket from AHBS and sitting in the fridge since it arrived...gulp...4 months ago.

Should I toss it and just use the DME I have?

Is there any way I can test it to see if the LME is bad? Color/smell/taste/texture/etc?

I'm leaning better safe and sorry and just to throw out the LME, but I feel terrible about it somehow...like ingredients wasted...it's like a beer abortion! Geez, what a terrible thought.

Meh, I'd brew it. Throw a cheap pack of dry yeast at it and and ounce of hops maybe even a pound of sugar and see what happens. You're betting about $4 more that it will be drinkable vs. not trying and never knowing. Steep the grains and see how the "tea" smells and tastes. Maybe you dump that and just make a really light lawnmower beer or a smaller batch.

This is like a bad poker hand. If you fold you lose for sure - if you bet a couple more bucks you may win. :D

-OCD

I think the LME would still be usable, but you would want to add some freshly milled grains to freshen it up and add flavor, after all that is the primary reason for steeping grains in my opinion.

Bah, use both of them, they'll be fine! Especially since they've been in the fridge the whole time. LME will keep for a long LONG time before it starts to taste musty. Cracked grains, well, I've used some that were ground for 6 months before I used them and they seemed OK in my batch.

Back