Cream Soda Recipe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoarHawgRebel

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Im new here and I just had a quick question..
Ive searched and searched the net over for a cream soda recipe about like commercial stuff as in A&W etc etc..
I can't come up with anything and I want to start making my own cream soda..
Does anyone have or know of a really good cream soda recipe I could use?
Thanks!

-BHR-

I have a batch of cream soda in a 2-liter as an experimentation right now. I put 7/8 c. of sugar, about 2 tbsp of vanilla extract (the fake stuff - I didn't want to waste the good stuff if the batch doesn't turn out), a bit less that 1/4 tsp of Champagne yeast, and enough water to fill a 2-liter bottle.

I'll let you know how it turns out - should be ready in about 3 days (after refrigeration).

Generally, cream soda is just vanilla in carbonated water... you could experiment with doses of extract by buying commercial seltzer and adding in the glass to see what you like, otherwise just wing one together and see what comes out.

I have a batch of cream soda in a 2-liter as an experimentation right now. I put 7/8 c. of sugar, about 2 tbsp of vanilla extract (the fake stuff - I didn't want to waste the good stuff if the batch doesn't turn out), a bit less that 1/4 tsp of Champagne yeast, and enough water to fill a 2-liter bottle.

I'll let you know how it turns out - should be ready in about 3 days (after refrigeration).
Yes, Id definately like to hear how that turns out!

Generally, cream soda is just vanilla in carbonated water... you could experiment with doses of extract by buying commercial seltzer and adding in the glass to see what you like, otherwise just wing one together and see what comes out.
That's not a bad idea..I wanna be able to make it by the gallon for like cookouts and personal use so I could do as you said and buy enough to fill a gallon jug and just experiment..Thanks guys!

Well, I just bought 3 1-liter bottles of seltzer and a 2oz bottle of vanila extract.
Money is extremely tight so that's all I could afford..
Didnt realize I wouldnt be needing the other 2 bottles of seltzer..
Anyways, after measuring and trying etc etc,, I ended up using the whole bottle of extract in one liter of seltzer and it barely made a difference..
What I may go ahead and do when I can afford it, try the few recipes I have involving carbonation by yeast and see how that turns out..
Thanks guys!

Update on my Cream Soda test (from previous post)
Water for 2-liter bottle
~7/8 Cup Sugar
~2 TBSP Vanilla Extract
a bit less than 1/4 tsp. Champagne Yeast

I put sugar and vanilla in 180 degree water until dissolved, then put enough cool water into it to bring it down to ~65 degrees. Filled a 2 liter bottle with the stuff, pitched the yeast, squeezed the air out of the bottle and capped it. I let it set for about 4 days (it's still cold here in the NW - about 68 degrees in my house), then put it in the fridge for 3 days.

Carbonation is great (I like good carbonation), but the taste wasn't great. Not enough vanilla for one (my fault for not tasting the overall batch first - only the concentrated batch), but I can also taste the yeast - which I don't like. Some people might enjoy it, but it's a bit to 'yeasty' for me. Maybe a different yeast would make a difference (I tried doing ginger ale with this same yeast and it turned out great).

I think kegging might be the way to go in order to get good carbonation and the exact flavor you're looking for.

I put sugar and vanilla in 180 degree water until dissolved...

Hi Pipes-n-Brew,

Greetings from Corvallis!

I think adding the vanilla to the heat kills its flavor compounds. Try adding it after you've cooled your solution down.

Champagne is suppose to leave little taste but to me it tastes awful. I started using Safale S-04. I thought it tasted much better. I have not heard of a cream soda coming out good yet. I would love to find a good one though.

Taste will improve if you store the bottle upright. This will allow the yeast to settle on the bottom (lees). The pour the soda in a glass like you would a beer with sediment. Throw out the last bit of soda on the bottle that has the sediment.

Thanks
KevinJ

I'm still experimenting with this as I have time. I have carbonated water on tap downstairs so I make syrups to add to that. I've been trying to duplicate Sprecher's cream soda. My current recipe has honey, malto-dextrine, real vanilla and of course sugar. I still need to perfect the ratios of ingredients.

Back