easiest virgin all grain.. be gentle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In terms of technicality, in process most of them are the same. Mash for x amount of time at y temp, sparge to achieve z gallons, then follow a hopping schedule.

Don't do something that requires major water chemisty adjustment, like an IPA...No decoction mashes or stuff like that...

Honestly, I would have to say the Biermuncher's Centennial Blond is a great and simple recipe to do for your first all grain...It's one of my favorite brews I have ever done. I've done it twice, and posting now I decided to brew it again over the holidays.

If you like it a little hoppier, I boosted the Ibus up only 4 points I really liked it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

I thought about putting the Schlitz High Gravity VSL clone recipe up but didn't think it would be a great idea.

lol haus pale ale by edworts is the easiest by far, lol like 3 ingredients total very easy to do, and is a good cherry popper for AG

I'm looking to pop my all grain cherry as well. What would be the mash and sparge water amounts and temps for the centennial blond?

The centennial blonde was probably the most hassle free beer I've brewed. But really, the recipe doesn't matter too much. Focus on hitting your temps and collecting your wort, like Revvy said. I would stay away from really high gravity beers and things like adding pumpkin, chocolate or anything like that. That way any problems can be narrowed down to procedure, temps, water, ect. My first AG was a Two Hearted clone. The brew session was a mess, but it turned into fantastic beer. Getting used to the equipment is the fun part of the first couple AG batches and give yourself plenty of time.

Providing you stay away from multi-step mashes, I don't think that any one AG recipe is any more difficult than any other. What could ruin your whole day is trying to make a brew with unsuitable equipment.
i.e:
Trying to make a 10g batch with a 5g MLT will give you problems
Trying to make 5g of RIS in a 5g MLT will give you similar problems.
Trying to make a 5g batch of Mild in a 70 qt MLT and fly sparging will give you different problems.
Perhaps if you post the equipment you have, and how you intend to sparge, you could get a good idea of any potential problems.
IMHO, AG brewing takes a lot longer, and a little more attention to detail then extract, but the only time it gets much more difficult is when you try to brew a batch with the wrong equipment.

-a.

I don't have a recipe that I would recommend, but I would say that I wouldn't recommend Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale as a first all grain simply because it has 10.5 lbs of grain. For a noob, I'd recommend something with 7-7.5 lbs grain max. 10.5 lbs is nothing for the experienced grain brewer, but it's a whole lot easier with a smaller grain bill. I'd recommend an Ordinary Bitter with 6lbs Pale, 1 lb of light or medium Crystal and whatever hops you like for your ales. It's so much easier to handle mashing and sparging on the 7 lbs than 10.5 lbs.

Ingredient-wise I think the easiest thing to make is a SMaSH beer.

Single malt and single hop, what could be easier?

Well, with that equipment, I can't see any problems with a 5g batch of any gravity, or a 10g batch with an OG <= 1.060.
For your first brew, I would try to keep the gravity <= 1.060, as batch sparging efficiency decreases as the gravity increases.

Good luck.

-a.

SMaSH couldn't be easier but yeah pretty much anything is going to work that isn't too complex or big I did Ed's Pale Ale for my first and now I have it as a house beer always on tap, it's the only beer I don't rotate.

Back