Need Help With IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claytonh88

Reaction score
I am new to brewing ive tried the "true true kit" and i brew the IPA. My first goal was to make a IPA. at first i wasn't trying to make a colon of any particular beer, just trying to make a beer that is drinkable!!! Now i would like to make a better tasting IPA with LME using my own ingredients. I like a hoppy beer, my top choices are Good People IPA, Sweet Water IPA, MonkeyNaut IPA, Anything that has that good Citrus/ Grapefruit Flavor .. This is what i have as far a ingredents to use: Briess Gold Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract, and Amber LME, I have 1 pound of three diffrenet types of whole leaf hops, CTZ, Chinook, and Centennial. i have a source of grain local threw a brew shop but would like to buy in bulk if i can figure out what are the best grains to use for steeping. I think i can get a lot of the flavors i am wanting form dry hopping. Help with the order of hops and or witch hops to use for what Oh yea and the last batch i use i was using the White lab yeast and could tell a great change in taste any other tips and or recipise that you would like to share it would be a great help.. Thanks

You're already getting some specialty grains from the amber malt extract. I'd replace that amber with pilsner and steep crystal 10-60 (personal preference).

I think i order crystal 40...i was going to steep with that, but your saying sub out the amber for pilsner and step up the amount of crystal? How Much?

dry hopping is for aroma, not flavor. though it might seem to taste hoppier with dry hopping.

i suggest using beersmith software to help you build recipies. you can download a free three week trial before you buy it. It has been a huge help for me.

brewing software is where its at if you want to create your own recipes. it may take a little time to figure out how to navigate though the program but then it is really fun just to mess around with.

beer smith has a ton of recipes already loaded. you can also install "add-ons" which include almost every northern brewer kit, jamil's "can you brew it" and many other great beers.

when i starter creating my own beer i always compared the grain bill and hop schedule to other highly acclaimed recipes to see if i was in the ball park.

good luck!!

Are you shooting for a standard IPA or an Imperial? I would suggest some combination of Citra, Cascade and Amarillo hops for your finishing hops. Use your CTZ or Centennials at the beginning of your boil and load up on the finishing hops for the last 15 minutes of your boil and you should get a nice citrusy, grapefruit finish. When I brewed extract IPAs I used Light LME with some steeped Crystal 40 and Carapils. When I wanted to make an Imperial I added more LME and some sugar to boost the ABV. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!

Back