Question about Wyeast 1272

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyBrewer

Reaction score
Wyeast 1272 is making me nervous...

I brewed 9 days ago and the little guys are still going strong. I know not to trust the bubbles in the airlock, but I have to believe that when I can see currents IN THE BEER as it sits in the Primary, that it is still fermenting....

Just out of curiosity, I took a gravity reading yesterday and I was at 1.012 from a SG of 1.066......according to Beersmith, that was my target FG!

I thought about transferring to my Secondary (I know many of you don't use them, but it allows me to get a second beer going with minimal equipment) but decided I probably shouldn't if I can see that much activity (looks like convection currents in the beer).

Before you look at the questions, I am kegging and not worried about yeast falling completely out of suspension.

My questions to the experts on this site are the following:
1. If I move the beer to the secondary now, is it possible to halt fermentation if I avoid getting any of the krausen on the top? (Hoping this stops the top fermenting little guys)
2. If I let it keep going, what are your estimates (based on experience) of how much longer it would go?
3. What would you do in my situation?

Cheers!

I've used 1272 a lot. More than any other yeast. I've never had a batch ferment vigorously for more than 3-4 days. Sometimes I'll get random air lock burps for up to two weeks, but nothing to get concerned about. If it's still churning, that's kind of weird. What temp do you have it at? Personally, I would just leave it until you're ready to keg. Secondary won't really do much for you. If it is indeed still winding down on primary, trasfering to secondary should halt or significantly slow activity, but if your gravity is 1.012 from 1.066 there can't be much left for the yeast to consume. That's 81% apparent attenuation, which is not uncommon IME, but it shouldn't get much lower than that. I would just let it sit and keep an eye on the gravity. If it keeps dropping then I would start wondering about an infection. Taste it when you take the next hydro sample.

It is fermenting at about 67 degrees. I will let it go for a couple more days in hopes that it will slow down. I'm not opposed to letting it go longer, but I'm worried about the gravity getting too low and making it too dry.

I tasted it last night when I did my sample and it was delicious.... I would probably consider myself overly cautious in the sanitizing and cleaning department, so I'm not too worried about an infection.

I will take a reading tomorrow to see if it has dropped more, and if I have any off flavors.

Thank you for the response! It's great to be able to bounce your ideas off someone that has been doing this for awhile, or has different methods.

Thanks again!

If it tastes ok, I'd say you're good to go unless the gravity continues to drop. In which case, keg it immediately. If the gravity stays stable, leave it in primary. The only thing secondary is going to do for you is clear the beer faster and it sounds like you're not too concerned about that.

i am no expert but i have racked to secondary for the same reason, to start another brew. even though the beer was off the yeast cake it continued to ferment. the yeast in suspension continued to work on the beer.

however, in regard to the yeast strain, my last batch with 1272 yeast remained suspended for longer than usual. seemed odd since people praise it's flocculation. i had reached final gravity per hydrometer so i cold crashed @34 for about 30 hrs and wha-la!! crystal clear. racked to secondary and dry hopped...drinking it now.

i am no expert but i have racked to secondary for the same reason, to start another brew. even though the beer was off the yeast cake it continued to ferment. the yeast in suspension continued to work on the beer.

however, in regard to the yeast strain, my last batch with 1272 yeast remained suspended for longer than usual. seemed odd since people praise it's flocculation. i had reached final gravity per hydrometer so i cold crashed @34 for about 30 hrs and wha-la!! crystal clear. racked to secondary and dry hopped...drinking it now.

I don't even have to cold crash my yeast starters it flocs so well. Which actually is a good thing I think because it helps weed out the late floccers so that your batch clears better.

Thank you for the responses.

I think I will take another reading tonight and if it dropped to 1.010 or lower I may cold crash since I'm already passed my anticipated FG. Once I do that for 30-48 hours I'll move it to my secondary so I can get another beer going this weekend.

After all....I have a 2 keg system.. I wouldn't want to hurt the self-esteem of a keg by leaving it empty.

Okay, so....

I did a gravity reading and tasting tonight and the gravity is now down to 1.010. I will test it again tomorrow and if it drops below, then I will cold crash. so I can prevent the beer from being too dry.

The visible activity in the primary has slowed significantly since yesterday, so I'm feeling a little better about giving it 1 more day.

Now the important part. The sample was delicious.

Why not cold crash for a day or two and go straight to the keg? Carbonate and condition at the same time.

Do all of it in the keg.

I've got a DIPA with 1272 right now going. It's been a week I think since I brewed it, still appears to be working, but probably residual stuff clearing up.

I'm gonna give it another week, keg it, dry hop it with 3oz and carb it all at the same time. Let it sit for a week or whatever.

Back