Will this work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your link is no good.

Edit

I think I found it. It's a burner stand? I'd say 20 bucks is a good deal for that.

So the wife and I were at Sam's Club and came across this item [URL="http://reviews.samsclub.com/1337/488292/reviews.htm?sort=rating"[/URL]

Someone has slashed the 40.01 price and wrote 20.01 above it. When we flagged down someone they had to call a manager. It was the last one in the store and the manager reluctantly agreed to the price so I bought it and ran. Now I need to know if this was good deal or not. Help me Homebrew Talk. You are my only Hope.

It looks like that will work fine for the theoretical brewing you will be doing in Alabama. ;)

I have a Bayou sp1 jet burner with the 20 psi regulator. It has a different frame than the one in your link. It is a monster as far as BTU output although it does sound like a jet engine. Some people have trouble with them because they don't follow the proper lighting sequence and don't get the proper flame and output. No problem getting 8-9 gallons to a full rolling boil in a fairly short time.

bosco

I have a Bayou sp1 jet burner with the 20 psi regulator. It has a different frame than the one in your link. It is a monster as far as BTU output although it does sound like a jet engine. Some people have trouble with them because they don't follow the proper lighting sequence and don't get the proper flame and output. No problem getting 8-9 gallons to a full rolling boil in a fairly short time.

bosco

Can you tell me some more about lighting sequence and proper flame? I got this without any paperwork off the shelf so I have no info.

Tank off, regulator off, open tank all the way, crack open regulator and light. Adjust the regulator to the desired level. If you don't follow that sequence, the regulator will go on low flow and you will be lucky to boil 5 gallons.

Tank off, regulator off, open tank all the way, crack open regulator and light. Adjust the regulator to the desired level. If you don't follow that sequence, the regulator will go on low flow and you will be lucky to boil 5 gallons.

That is just regulator safety mechanism. Nothing to do with the burner.

Low Flow Propane

You just changed over bottles, or turned on a new tank, and now, you can barely get one burner to light on the stove, and your furnace won't light. What Happened ? You are experiencing low flow mode. Low flow mode is a safety feature caused when the regulator thinks there is a propane leak with your gas system. To fix the problem ensure all connections are tight, and all control knobs and propane tank are -OFF-. Remove the hose from the propane tank and let rest for a few seconds. Reconnect the hose, and then, turn ON the tank - SLOWLY - this should slow the initial flow of the gas and not have the flow limiter come into play. You may need to repeat this operation up to a couple times.

MachineShopBrewing said:
That is just regulator safety mechanism. Nothing to do with the burner.

Correct, if you do not follow the correct sequence, the regulator will go into "low flow". Low flow on the regulator will result in a yellow, sooty flame and an extreme lack of boil. The first time I used my burner for beer, I hooked up my tank to my burner with the regulator set to the last time I used it (boiling shrimp), the flame was quiet and turned the bottom of the pot black. No matter how I tried to adjust the flame from that point, I couldn't get rid of the soot or bring 6 gallons if water to a boil. I thought the burner was way too small. I did some research on this forum and realized I "started" the burner wrong. Disconnected the tank, turned the regulator off, opened the tank all the way and cracked the regulator to light it. The burner was very loud and I brought 6 gallons to a boil in about 30 minutes.

image-3777415892.jpg

This is 13 gallons boiling on a $29 Bass Pro fish fryer burner.

Correct, if you do not follow the correct sequence, the regulator will go into "low flow". Low flow on the regulator will result in a yellow, sooty flame and an extreme lack of boil. The first time I used my burner for beer, I hooked up my tank to my burner with the regulator set to the last time I used it (boiling shrimp), the flame was quiet and turned the bottom of the pot black. No matter how I tried to adjust the flame from that point, I couldn't get rid of the soot or bring 6 gallons if water to a boil. I thought the burner was way too small. I did some research on this forum and realized I "started" the burner wrong. Disconnected the tank, turned the regulator off, opened the tank all the way and cracked the regulator to light it. The burner was very loud and I brought 6 gallons to a boil in about 30 minutes.

Ok. I guess I've never seen anyone leave their regulator set from the last time. I always have my regulator off when I hook up. You should be able to open the tank valve slowly and prevent it from going to low flow mode also, but I have never tried it. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that it was not specific to that burner.

Back