Simple blond ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateG

Reaction score
I want to try Amarillo hops out so I figured a simple blond ale would be in order, here is the recipe

6 lbs NB Gold Malt extract
1 oz Amarillo at start of boil
1 oz Amarillo at 50 minutes

US-05 for yeast.

Simple, light and cheap.

At 34.9 ABU it will be a bit of a dirty blond :D

Sounds good. Amarillo are some good hops. I've used them a couple times. Very citrusy, like cascade, but a little more like orange than grapefruit, in my opinion anyway.

I think Extra light LME or DME would make it even nicer and more friendly to non homebrew drinkers

Who said I was going to give them any :D I would have to decided if I want to get another keg or get off my lazy arse and bottle this batch, it might be bottles since I can only fit two kegs in the fridge and they will both be full in the near future. I guess if I'm going to do it I should order the stuff already, kinda hard though since I have spent well over $600 on homebrew stuff in the last month :rolleyes:

Not that your asking, but here's my blonde recipe. It's simple enough and seems to be a favorite among family and friends.

5.5 gallons, OG 1.051
9 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 20
1 lb White Wheat Malt

.25 oz Amarillo - 60 mins
1 oz Amarillo - 20 mins
.75 oz Amarillo - 5 mins

US-05 at 65 degrees then carbonated to 2.8 volumes.

I've liked it so far and so have others that have tried it, but I want to blend Cascade and Amarillo, or maybe use Falconer's in the future. My current recipe is at around 28 IBU. So I would aim for the same with these other hops.

I want to try Amarillo hops out so I figured a simple blond ale would be in order, here is the recipe

6 lbs NB Gold Malt extract
1 oz Amarillo at start of boil
1 oz Amarillo at 50 minutes

US-05 for yeast.

Simple, light and cheap.

At 34.9 ABU it will be a bit of a dirty blond :D

Maybe add 1-1.5# light Belgian sugar to dry it a touch? Just a thought.

if you want to keep it cheap and give it a bit more kick throw in a pound to brewers corn syrup, or substitute a pound of the malt to keep it roughly the same gravity

I might change the recipe a bit, I went to my LHBS to get some starsan and keg lube and he had 7lb buckets of light LME for $20 so I might be switching to that instead.

Well I boiled it up last night, I ended up with:

7lbs pale malt extract
2oz Cascade whole leaf, alpha of 9%, for 60 minutes
1/2oz Amarillo whole leaf, alpha of 10.2% for 15 minutes
1/2oz Amarillo at 5 minutes
For yeast I had a packet of Danstar Nottingham that needed using up.
OG was 1.050ish

It's bubbling away quite well today at 72 degrees and the smell is quite lovely :D

Back