How long before I need to start worrying?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishka

Reaction score
I know this is a total newbie question but here goes:
I brewed up my dubbel recipe last night, took a gravity reading (it was about 1.069), vigorously shook up the wort and then pitched the white labs yeast (WLP500) right in. That was at 7 pm and now it's almost 2 and still no bubbles.

Did I do something wrong here?All my previous beers had started fermenting around 6 hours but were significantly lower in gravity. Is the increased gravity a major factor here? The initial temp. was 66 F but rose to 72 in a couple hours. If 24 hours rolls by and nothing is happening, should I head over to the LHBS and get more of the same yeast?

Please help

Mishka said:
I know this is a total newbie question but here goes:
I brewed up my dubbel recipe last night, took a gravity reading (it was about 1.069), vigorously shook up the wort and then pitched the white labs yeast (WLP500) right in. That was at 7 pm and now it's almost 2 and still no bubbles.

Did I do something wrong here?All my previous beers had started fermenting around 6 hours but were significantly lower in gravity. Is the increased gravity a major factor here? The initial temp. was 66 F but rose to 72 in a couple hours. If 24 hours rolls by and nothing is happening, should I head over to the LHBS and get more of the same yeast?

Please help
Relax dude...have a brew. Your temps are a little low to get things started, and your yeast might have preferred a little more O2 to really get going quickly, but it certainly will happen. I wouldn't even begin to worry unless you've seen absolutely no signs of activity within 48 hours.

Yep I agree... no need to be worried. I always found Wyeast and White Labs to take around 24-48 hours, sometimes even 72 hours, when I pitch them without a starter.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I remembered reading something about 5-15 hours in John Palmer's online book and got totally freaked out for no good reason. I'm gonna go crack open a homebrew now :p

I just messed up a batch of Hefeweisen by not using a starter. I pitched the White Labs WLP300 Hefeweisen yeast when the wort was 79 degrees, OG was 1.056 (everything perfect). After 18 hours, absolutely nothing going on. I got nervous and pitched some dry yeast from an old Coopers kit. At least now, I am fermenting but I don't have a clue what yeast is working. From now on, I'm making a starter!

Well, after about 30 hours fermentation finally started:D!! I agree with eddalex, from now on I'm gonna make up starters for by brews (and finally get some use out of that New Belgium growler) - I hope your hefeweizen turns out ok.

I've had the same experience. My first brews took a day and a half to start. Now I do a starter every time and they kick off within a day.

i've been using liquid Wyeast and havn't had any problems at all. (knock on wood) Hope everything comes around on your brew!!!

Back