Pilsner help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmf07

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading the forums for a couple weeks, but decided to join because I need some advice. I am about to buy and brew a pilsner, I'm going to get this kit from NB. I'm actually going to be doing a 1 gal batch so I will have to divide the recipe up accordingly.

I want to give it a bit more hop "oomph" both in bittering and aroma. What hops additions and at what times would help me achieve this?

Thanks in advance, I love the community here, I have learned so much already!

Mike

Well, this kit uses 3 oz. of Saaz hops, 2 oz at 60 min and 1 at 5 min.. So adding more quantity at those times would seem logical to me.

It's possible that you might accidentally do that just by scaling the recipe.

I'm new to all this myself, but I've read that ingredients don't always scale linearly. It would take someone who knows more than I do to tell you more details on that. All I know is that if you create a batch 1/5 the size of the original batch, you'll get a different tasting beer than the original recipe.

It might be a negligible difference though.

I should have clarified, I was interested in throwing a different hop variety in there, in addition to the Saaz. I assume a noble hop, but any suggestions?

I'd probably pick hallertau if you're looking to add a different hop, but it's all about what you're looking for I guess...

Back