Dry Hop - great then grassy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miggedymike

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I dry hopped a pale ale with citra whole leaf hops after kegging with a hop sack. o2 was purged after adding the sack and it sat at 65f for one week.
After the week was up I removed the hop sack, purged again, then force carbed at 30psi for 2days and then set to serving pressure. it was very tasty, bright and aromatic. A week has gone by and it has taken on a vegetal grassy taste. Nothing has changed regarding my involvement.

What happened? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mike

How porous was your hop sack?

You may have left quite a bit in the keg and that can lead to the grassy vegetal taste.

I use a bag made specifically for keeping hops out of your beer (bought from brewshop). Much finer mesh (and smaller) than the paint strainer bag I use for Brew In A Bag (bought at Lowes).

Get the finer bag would be my opinion. Cost me $5 for the hop bag and should be useable for a LONG time.

image_1882.jpg

Nothing much finer than a paint straining bag you can get at any hardware store. I use one gallon bags. Use them in the boil all the time

Both the paint strainer and hop bag are made of nylon I believe. If so, they would be okay for the boil. I only use mine for dry hopping. I've never worried about hops getting into my fermenter.

Back