smallest keezer possible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman123

Reaction score
Greetings All,

Long time lurker here, but I joined just to give you all a heads up to a great chest freezer is on sale at target for the next couple days. This isn't for those that want a huge multi-tap keezer setup but more so for those that have very limited space or live in a small city apartment like me and want a "baby keezer".

It is an 3.4 Cubic foot Emerson

http://www.target.com/s?keywords=chest+freezer&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&ref=sr_bx_1_1&x=0&y=0

Currently On sale for $139.99 at target. I was one the fence about whether to do a fridge conversion but was hoping to find a tiny chest freezer like this that might fit a corny or two to save power.

I measured the the width of the bottom not affected but the compressor hump and it is exactly 9 1/2" wide. The height is about 27" so it should theoretically fit at least one corny and CO2 tank withoutany modification but possibly two cornys and a CO2 tank with a big collar added to it. I will post pics of my build if people here are interested.

Thanks or all the great advice and info I have gained from this site over the years!

Mini-Keezer (Dr. Evil voice)

Still seems pricey for only 3.4 ft. Then again a bigger one means more $$ for kegs, shanks, faucets, etc...

Would love to see pics of the build.

Lowes sells a 5 cu feet freezer for $150 and that fits 2 cornies a co2 tank and has breathing room.

Lowes sells a 5 cu feet freezer for $150 and that fits 2 cornies a co2 tank and has breathing room.

Yes, the holiday 5cu ft.
I am building a keezer with it. I will post pictures when it is complete (should be done in 2 weeks). With a collar, it can hold 3 ball lock kegs + CO2, or even 4 if you have the CO2 outside, but it is tight.

I was able to build the collar this weekend. The freezer fits one corny and 5lb co2 tank with no modification. It fits two cornies plus the tank with a 6 inch collar.

I built the collar out of oak and rubbed it with linseed oil. I am going to put the two faucets on the left-hand side. My two perlick faucets and other equipment should be in this week. Hopefully I will have completed photos this weekend.

This freezer was definitely a less expensive option then buying a new sanyo minifridge. I think it is the smallest size freezer that fits home brew kegs which makes it a good choice for small spaces. Also is should only cost around $20/year to run. I plan on insulating the collar with styrofoam. I am not sure whether to permanently attach the collar to the base or just use weather stripping.
no lid.jpg

keg with collar.jpg

Finished it! It is definitely the smallest keezer that fits two corny kegs and a 5 or 10 pound co2 tank. I just need to make a cheap drip tray for it now and organize my lines better.

finished 1.jpg

finshed 2.jpg

finished 3.jpg

finished 4.jpg

This is certainly a noob question but does this freezer have a setting low enough to keep beer from freezing?

TheDawg28 said:
This is certainly a noob question but does this freezer have a setting low enough to keep beer from freezing?

Every freezer and most refrigerators require an external thermostat to keep the temperature in the proper range. Google "Ranco temp controller"

My freezer was 0*f at the warmest setting. With the Ranco it's currently at 68*f with a pale and a porter fermenting inside.

Back