Brettanomyces bruxellensis Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dslater

Reaction score
Hi -
I am fermenting the Belgian Specialty Ale in "Brewing Classic Styles"
I racked to secondary about 3 days ago and pitched the Brettanomyces bruxellensis but I am seeing absolutely no action in the airlock.

I know that fermentation can happen without visible airlock action, but am
wondering what I should expect to see in this case.

Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks,

Dave

Try to move your thread over to the Lambic & Wild brewing section and you might get more responses. I know I only look there for Brett questions.

My experience with Brett in secondary is that you'll often get basically no indication that it's doing anything. Wait 1-3 months and give it a sniff/taste test.

My Orval-ish beer sat totally still for 3 months (no signs of activity), yet it got a very noticeable Brett character. Then it got super carbonated in the bottle while sitting mostly at 35-50 degrees. Brett tends to be less predictable than saccaromyces.

You might get a pellicle forming (although that's just an indicator of O2 in your headspace), and I usually see some very slow airlock activity...maybe 1 bubble per 15 minutes.

What was your gravity when you transferred?

Back