Wild Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhaus15

Reaction score
As I live in an area that produced lots of hops back in the early 30's (upstate ny) there are lots of old hop farms around. Anyhow, I know of a few areas not far from my house where there are small bunches of wild hops growing.

Firstly, assuming that I can find enough to brew with, would they be usable for brewing? Anyone ever find/use wild hops before?

Thanks

If they are on land that was once used to grow hops commercially, they are likely Cluster.This was the dominant variety back then. Clusters are 6-8% alpha acid and are good dual purpose hops. My great-great grandfather planted hops on his small family farm here in Onondaga county. My grandmother still lives on the farm and I harvested some last weekend. Will be going back for the rest this weekend. Whereabouts are you?

Yes, I assume these were commercially grown hops at one point, as I find them around old hop barns. Though, I don't know when the the hop farms were operational or who owned them as they are now abandoned. If I get some free time this weekend I will see if I can collect some hops and take pictures. I live near Hamilton College.

I've used some of feral hops from my neighbor's farm. Probably Fuggles, as that was the main hop for this area back then.

Went hop hunting today and hit payload! I harvested 2 pounds of hops, with huge cones and deep yellow lupulin glands. Extremely fragrant. Tomorrow I plan on going back and getting more, could probably cut enough hop vines to fill the back of my truck.

Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do it...

Went hop hunting today and hit payload! I harvested 2 pounds of hops, with huge cones and deep yellow lupulin glands. Extremely fragrant. Tomorrow I plan on going back and getting more, could probably cut enough hop vines to fill the back of my truck.

Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do it...

How'd the beer turn out?

I felt like I should resurrect this thread since I just got a bunch of wild hops from my uncle who lives near Saratoga Springs, NY. The are frozen and I haven't had a chance to look to closely at them yet.

How has the beer made with these hops turned out? Has anyone here actually tried it yet?

I felt like I should resurrect this thread since I just got a bunch of wild hops from my uncle who lives near Saratoga Springs, NY. The are frozen and I haven't had a chance to look to closely at them yet.

How has the beer made with these hops turned out? Has anyone here actually tried it yet?

Necropost!

Chances are the are the hops you got are Cluster hops or some variation thereof. Many CNY hop farms back in the 1800's grew more than one variety, such as Humphries, True Canada, Pompey...

I have brewed with wild hops a few times and the resulting beer was generally drinkable. The wild hops around my house are EXTREMELY grapefruity tasting - as in tastes like concentrated grapefruit juice - though the aroma is somewhat catty and spicy. I found the beers were best consumed young as the hop aroma and flavor went south after a few months. If you intend on using those hops, they would best be used in a low gravity IPA or pale ale that won't need extended aging.

Necropost!

Chances are the are the hops you got are Cluster hops or some variation thereof. Many CNY hop farms back in the 1800's grew more than one variety, such as Humphries, True Canada, Pompey...

I have brewed with wild hops a few times and the resulting beer was generally drinkable. The wild hops around my house are EXTREMELY grapefruity tasting - as in tastes like concentrated grapefruit juice - though the aroma is somewhat catty and spicy. I found the beers were best consumed young as the hop aroma and flavor went south after a few months. If you intend on using those hops, they would best be used in a low gravity IPA or pale ale that won't need extended aging.

Great feedback.

I have used dried leaf cascade. General consensus is you need to use almost twice as much leaf oz's as you would pellet oz's.

I noticed it when I tried to use them 1:1 to replace pellets.

I would really like to try some wild hops. I would probably use a lot of them though.

Back