Double Stout (feedback needed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
I’m planning a rather high gravity extract based double stout which is uncharted territory, for me, up until this point. I’ve done a good bit of reading (TCJOHB, Brewing for Dummies, brew masters bible) and tried to absorb as much as I could about higher gravity brews. Here is what I’ve come up with:

Target:
8-9% ABV
35 IBU’s
OG 1.080-1.090
FG 1.020-1.025

9 lbs Briess Gold extract (liquid)
3.3 lbs Briess Dark extract (Liquid)
2/3 cup (by vol) dark brown sugar
½ lb dark caramel
1 ½ lbs chocolate malt
½ lb roasted barley

2 oz goldlings 4.5%AA (bittering)
1 oz williamette 3.4%AA (finishing)

Wyeast Activator 1084 Irish Ale

Here are a few questions I came to:

Should I pitch 2 packs of yeast and how do I prepare it for such an epic battle?

How will my overall all color be considering I’m using 9lbs light, 3.3lbs dark and a crap ton of sparging grain?

If I hit my goals of 8-9%ABV and 35 IBU’s how will the overall balance be?

I thought of adding unsweetened baking chocolate, any suggestions for that?

Is there any other gotchas of brewing at gravities this high?

ALL feedback is more than welcome

well im learning quite a bit about brewing stouts, but im doing all grain at this point so bare with me as i try to convert the amounts of extract in my head. i think your overall balance will be fine due to your usage of roasted grain. your flavor profile will be a bit dry considering youve got no caramel malts in the recipe, and you might have a problem with head retention. although, your roasted barley should help with that. your flavoring hops will not be noticeable because of the high content of roasted grains, so i would ditch them. as far as proper fermenting, youll want to make a starter wort with that yeast in mind, and make sure you leave it in the primary for 21 days and then to the secondary for finishing for 7 days. if youre bottling, make sure to condition for 3 weeks as well. a long bottle condition will mellow any harsh bitter flavors you might attain from the roasted malts. your dark caramel malt is going to give a slight raisiny type flavor which might offset your overall flavor profile. if you care whether this affects your flavor or not, you might consider switching that to a lighter malt, like a 60L. however, its your brew, and ill tell you what. ive had brews in the past that others picked apart and told me i was wrong, and i did them and they turned out awesome!! so if you wanna run with it, go for it, youll have beer. oh and as far as the coloring is concerned, that recipe makes an srm of 186 which is very dark, its like standing up a spoon in mud type dark. so youll be good with the color. your hops will not give you an ibu of 35, more like 21 if youre lucky. youre either going to need more goldings, or switch your hops to something like nugget, which youll only need about 1 oz at the boil for. that will give you an ibu of 37. but thats all ive got. if you have questions about your recipe go to beer recipator and plug in your stuff. itll come out with pretty accurate numbers.

well im learning quite a bit about brewing stouts, but im doing all grain at this point so bare with me as i try to convert the amounts of extract in my head. i think your overall balance will be fine due to your usage of roasted grain. your flavor profile will be a bit dry considering youve got no caramel malts in the recipe, and you might have a problem with head retention. although, your roasted barley should help with that. your flavoring hops will not be noticeable because of the high content of roasted grains, so i would ditch them. as far as proper fermenting, youll want to make a starter wort with that yeast in mind, and make sure you leave it in the primary for 21 days and then to the secondary for finishing for 7 days. if youre bottling, make sure to condition for 3 weeks as well. a long bottle condition will mellow any harsh bitter flavors you might attain from the roasted malts. your dark caramel malt is going to give a slight raisiny type flavor which might offset your overall flavor profile. if you care whether this affects your flavor or not, you might consider switching that to a lighter malt, like a 60L. however, its your brew, and ill tell you what. ive had brews in the past that others picked apart and told me i was wrong, and i did them and they turned out awesome!! so if you wanna run with it, go for it, youll have beer. oh and as far as the coloring is concerned, that recipe makes an srm of 186 which is very dark, its like standing up a spoon in mud type dark. so youll be good with the color. your hops will not give you an ibu of 35, more like 21 if youre lucky. youre either going to need more goldings, or switch your hops to something like nugget, which youll only need about 1 oz at the boil for. that will give you an ibu of 37. but thats all ive got. if you have questions about your recipe go to beer recipator and plug in your stuff. itll come out with pretty accurate numbers.

Thanks for the feedback. You made some pretty good points I failed to consider so here is what I’ve done. Also, thanks for the recipator website, i'd seen it before but didn't really understand it.

CHANGES LISTED IN BOLD FONT

Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 192 HCU
Bitterness: 38 IBU
OG: 1.093 FG: 1.025
Alcohol: 8.7% v/v (6.8% w/w)

Grain:
12 oz. American crystal 60L
1 lb. 8 oz. American chocolate
8 oz. Roasted barley
SUBSTITUTED: DARK CRYSTAL FOR 60L AND ADDED A FEW MORE OUNCES

Boil:
9 lb. 3 oz. Light malt extract
1 lb. Brown sugar
1 lb. Dark dry malt extract
SUBSITUTED DARK LME FOR DARK DME AND ADDED MORE B.SUGAR

Hops:
1 oz. Willamette (3.4% AA, 60 min.)
2 oz. Kent Goldings (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Galena (13% AA, 60 min.)
ADDED BITTERING HOPS AND SUBTRACTED FINISHING HOPS

Do you think a FG of 1.025 is unrealistic?

Any other feedback?

i think that recipe is pooyfecto mundo!! youve got it. make sure to make a starter wort 24-48 hours in advance to make your yeasties nice and hungry and also to let it ferment for atleast 21 days and bottle for an additional 21. your fg should be attainable if you stick to that. also make sure you strain your trub out before fermentation. heavy batches like this are prone to stuck fermentation if you leave the trub heavy. thats gonna be some tasty brew!!! cheers :mug:

oh and one more thing, make sure you steep those grains at no more than 156 degrees. stick to it and youll be a rockstar

I'll be buying the stuff for this one soon anyother feedback?

I will also be adding 6oz cocoa powder

Latest posts

Back