Hofbräuhaus, Las Vegas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During this past weekend's trip to Vegas, we went to the Hofbräuhaus for dinner, entertainment, and beer. I was looking forward to it, since I've never been to one, and they at least advertise an authentic German experience. The atmosphere was expectedly cheesy, though it was a pretty fun time overall. The food was decent but expensive. The beer was alright. The original lager was very light and without hop bite. The Bavarian hefe was pretty good with nice banana esters, and the dunkel was by far the best of the lineup. I couldn't stand that the bartender kept saying "hef-ee-why-zen" and "dunk-uhl" (like "slam dunk"-uhl) - you'd think they would teach these guys at least something about the beer they're pouring. Along those lines, I was quite shocked at the Oktoberfestbier - it was a pale lager! I asked the oh-so-knowledgeable bartender about it, and he acted like a darker Märzen-style beer would be completely out of place. Now, I've never been to Munich, and I don't know German (beer) history as well as I probably should, but I've also never had an Oktoberfestbier that didn't have a healthy dose of Munich malt. Aside from the style discrepancies (real or just my pre-conceived notions), this beer was mediocre at best, and I didn't care to have a second when the hefe and dunkel were on tap for the same price.

I had a similar experience with the one in Cincinnati, OH. The place was packed, and not in a good way. The food was decent but overpriced, and the beer was.. well I guess it was ok. I got the 6 oz sample platter of the beer selection and they were almost all forgetable with the exception of two. The Dopplebock was good when compared to the rest of their selections, and their Hefe was terrible. It was possibly the worst beer I have ever had. It tasted like rotting corn. I believed it to be spoiled or they just used really old hefe yeast to ferment it.

It seems you all were more disappointed in the atmosphere than the beer. I've personally have never had a beer I didn't like. Perhaps it's just the psychology working on your brains or just that you have to buy me a drink to make me understand! haha =)

I have been to the original Hofbräuhaus in Munich and I had a great time. The beer was very expensive (but thats coming from a cheap ass college kid), and I agree the dunklebier was the best there , but I enjoyed them all. The atmosphere there seemed pretty authentic, they had a Bavarian band playing classic German drinking song. I never knew that they had knockoffs here in the States.

Went to the one in Newport, KY with my brothers and a couple of friends last Friday. 2nd time I'd ever been there. The next day I talked to a couple of the guys and they both asked me "Was that beer kinda crappy or was it just me?" I couldn't even tell you what it was we were drinking. Maybe the Dunkelweisen or maybe Octoberfest? My friend ordered 5 Stouts :D The beer was not very good what ever it was. I enjoyed the Sam Adams Octoberfest much more at the place we were before we went to Hoffbrau. The rowdy atmosphere and the Oompa Band were great. I might have to try their Light Lager next time if I go back as that seemed to be what the vast majority of the people were drinking... at the Hoffbrau House!! I was disappointed again.

If your looking for a special beer experience, don't go! Its not what it designed for, cause its vegas.
But I used to frequent the place when I traveled through Vegas a lot. And it was a good time. The food was good and priced well compared to a lot of the tourist traps in Vegas. It wasnt the best german food, but how often do you get German food. It was really a great value for Vegas, and iIt actually served well as a base before going out with the potato dumplings and sausages. They had two house beers (a light and a dark) that were CHEAP during happy hour. The wheat wasnt that great, but it was being shipped from Germany. The happy hour prices cost less than most beers in Vegas and were twice the volume. They weren't the best but they were better than any american macrobrew. I think i had a pretty decent Bock.
I hung out in the bar area to avoid the band, but it was fun. One night some Germans got into a fight with the bartender because they wanted a certain kind of liquer and the bartender didn't have it. They bet him $200 that it was there and they shook hands. The bartender went and got the German manager who told them in German they lost the bet. The Germans refused to pay and were heckled till they left.

I've been to the original one in Munich countless times coz I lived there for 12+ years, and I have to say I never had a bad night out there. I didn't think it was any more expensive than the other places around town (but then I wasn't a cheap-ass student!). Didn't generally eat there but the entertainment was always reliable (drunks, oompa, college kids, crusty old germans dancing with japanese tourists, brilliant).

I actually recommended the guy who asked about Vegas to try the HB - sounds like it might have been a poor suggestion from what you guys are saying. I'd always assumed they were all linked together but it seems not - I expected you'd get HB beer in the Vegas HB, same as in Munich. Good to know that that's not the case.

Back