when to plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddknight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on trying out my luck with growing some hops this year but am planning on moving around mid-april or early may. What is the latest that I can plant a section of hops this year? I don't want to buy some rhizomes and then not be able to plant them if they need to be planted in April or May since I won't be set in my new house by then. Thanks for the info!

This is what I found on Freshops.com:

Plant in early spring once the threat of frost is gone but no later than May. the soil should be worked into a fine, friable condition prior to planting. In cold climates you can plant rhizomes in pots and transplant in June.

That may be a pretty viable option to plant them in a good sized pot in April and then transplant them sometime in June when the start to take off. That should give me plenty of time to settle in and create an adequate space for the full growth. Thanks for the info.

From reading through the posts here it sounds like you really should not expect too much from the plant the 1st and 2nd year anyway.
Potting them might allow them to get going but still offer some flexibility while you settle in.

Buy them and plant in gallon or larger pots. You might even look into peat moss nursery pots.

Speaking from personal experiences, the rhizomes will keep for several months in the refridgerator :rolleyes: Depending on how hectic the move is going to be this might be the simplest route so you don't have to deal with moving a potted plant that is going to require your attention. A naked rhizome is going to be fine for a couple of days at room temp during the move, and can even then go back into the fridge at the new place for a while. If it is a short easy move, then go ahead and pot it up. You can prune it back if it gets too big.

Back