Brewing tomorrow - Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minjin

Reaction score
I have 2 vials of white Labs 565 Belgian Saison.
I purchased them 2 weeks ago from Northern Brewer.

I was planning on brewing tomorrow and forgot to make my starters. If I put both vials in a 4 liter flask and put it on the stir plate today will they be ready by tomorrow?
I am making an 11 gallon Rye Saison with an expected OG of 1.065
Or should I just throw one vial in each carboy and call it a day.

I usually make my starter earlier in the week then chill it and decant the liquid, If I make it overnight I would have to split the liquid and dump the yeast and liquid because it will still be suspended.

What say all of you? :mug:

if you make the starter its not going to hurt nothing, but its still gonna be suspended in the liquid when you pitch.

Based on what you have and what you're making, I say just dump one in each carboy.

Bob, advice? :p

I'd put both vials in a 2L starter and pitch the entire starter when you're at pitching temps tomorrow. I don't like the idea of 4 liters of starter wort going into my wort but can stomach half the amount.

It's like calling for Beetlejuice! :fro:

Yeah, that's not gonna be enough. A Saison yeast is gonna be flavorful even when you pitch properly; if you underpitch lord knows what esters it'll throw. Step it up as much as you can and pitch a frothy starter, that's my advice. You'll get some dilution, but better 10% dilution and good flavor than the alternative.

Bob

I've underpitched this yeast in two Saisons at the rate of one tube/5.5 gal of wort that gravity. Both have fermented hot and come out great. I would not worry about it, or, if I wanted to get closer to a better pitch rate, I'd reserve 2 liters of wort when I put the rest in my fermenter, seal up the fermenter, and pitch a real wort starter 24 hours later.

Latest posts

Back