Malt Liquor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pimp Juice

Reaction score
Any body have a clone for a Malt Liquor?

I know its a funny question, but its for pure novelty.

Also what the hell makes a malt liquor different than say bud or miller? Is it the addition of more rice and corn?

A malt liquor is any alcoholic beverage containing a portion of fermented malted barley. All beers are malt liquors.

Pimp Juice said:
Also what the hell makes a malt liquor different than say bud or miller? Is it the addition of more rice and corn?

it's just more alcohol. "malt liquor" only exists due to US laws that state that beer over a certain alcohol content has to be labeled as malt liquor.

-walker

Like Walker said from a historical perspective on the old Schlitz Malt Liquor etc :). But does that law still exist with all the new higher ABV brews you can buy nowadays? Or maybe it's ignored...

How about the standard construction of typical Malt Liquors?
Are they Lagers with a assload of corn and rice?

Brew Your Own has a recipe for malt liquor on there site (http://byo.com/recipe/1453.html). According to this recipe, to make an American Pilsner you dilute five gallons of malt liquor with one gallon distilled water. Perhaps malt liquor is the base to American pilsners, who knows if this is the way they do it at the brewery.

FYI... I had some Weihenstephaner hefeweizen that was labeled "Malt Liquor" a while ago.

Step 1. Urinate in the carbory. (this may take several urinations to make 5 gallons) Don't bother boiling it.

Step 2. Hock a few big loogies in there. The bigger the beter.

Step 3. Use 6 packs of dried expired ale yeast, and ferment.

step 4. When bottling time comes, use 40 ounce bottles and wrap them in a small paper bag. (for insulation purposes)

Ummmmmmm LOL just kidding.

I figured you guys might find these sites amusing though.

http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/

hhttp://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/3108/

http://eamusic.dartmouth.edu/~kov/links/maltLiquor.html

if I tried to sell my home brew by law all of them would be a malt liquor since I dont brew ANYTHING under 7% :D

"Colt 45, it's the finest Malt Liqor in the galaxy." - Lando

LONG LIVE Mickey's . . . in the big mouth bottles of course

mickeysbottleinflatable.jpg

Pimp Juice said:

I know its a funny question, but its for pure novelty.

do u want one that includes the brown paper bag or not? not quite as cardboardy :D

Rewarding Malt Liquor from 12/2003 Brew Your Own
OG 1.064-1.071 FG 1.010-1.011
SRM 7 IBU 8-9 ABV 6.9%-7.9%
5.8 LBS very pale unhopped lme
3.9 lbs briess brewers corn syrup or rice syrup
3 lbs un-milled six row
2.7 aau tettnanger (0.66 oz)
1 tsp irish moss 15 min
1 pkg lager yeast (Wyeast 2112 Cali lager yeast or White Labs San Fran lager yeast)
1 c corn sugar for priming

Malt liquor can also be perceived as a lager like beer with very little hop bitterness and often little hop flavor though that is not always the case It's primarily little or no bittering hops. Malty taste, usually of a higher alc range. Not an official BJCP style but... I've seen non US versions for sale that taste, like malty beer.

We don't have those strange beer laws up here.

I'm guessing it's close to a mild but with some noble hops and 2.5ish co2. I beleive there was a different name for that at some point. Probably some prarie boys making beer with no hop supply back on the farm way back when.

Megaswills love to make a high test corn beer with little hop taste/bittring and call it malt liquor, and I swear Old English tastes like Hawkeyes socks. Colt 45 actually has (or had) "artificial flavoring and color" listed in it ingredients. Loved the old ads though. Never saw them up here, buut I saw them a few times when visiting the States. Actually saw the Saturday Night Live spoof ad for "Cold Cock beer...It will know yuh out!".. years before I saw the Colt 45 ads. They weren't all that much different!

Denny's Brew said:
We don't have those strange beer laws up here.

yep. we used to could get Oberdorfer Dunkel Weisse here in Texas, but they wouldn't add "malt liquor" to the label (which, why the hell should they, right?). so, no more Oberdorfer or several other good brews....:(

You know me. I hate to be a stickler (or Stifler's father), but it's not "Oberdorfer". It's "Obersdorfer".:D There's an "s" in there.

There are many German words that if missing or adding a letter changes the entire meaning of the word. It's things like this that embarrass a lot of people when they say things like "I hope your mother recovers from her refridgerator surgery" and wanted to say something else. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
There are many German words that if missing or adding a letter changes the entire meaning of the word. It's things like this that embarrass a lot of people when they say things like "I hope your mother recovers from her refridgerator surgery" and wanted to say something else. :D

once again, thanks for the "German for Dummies" lesson! :eek:

it's been a few years since w/ had the OBERSDORFER :D IN Texas,so i have a good excuse......or at least i think i do :cross:

Pimp Juice said:

Malt Liquor

4 lbs. Light LME
3 lbs. Corn LME
2 lbs. Domestic Six-Row Malt
4 oz. Belgian Caramel-Pils
1 pkg. Burton Water Salts
½ oz. Cluster hops (Boiling)
½ oz. Cascades (flavoring)
¼ oz. Cascades (finishing)
1 pkg. Nottingham ale yeast or
1 pkg. Wyeast #1007 or

1 pkg. Wyeast #1056 or
1 vial White Labs German or California Ale Yeast

(For cold fermentation) or
1 pkg. Wyeast #2007 or
1 pkg. Wyeast #2035, or
1 vial White Labs Pilsner or

1 vial White Labs German Lager Yeast
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
⅞ cup Corn Sugar (for priming)

OG: 1.060
FG: 1010
Very pale & light-bodied for a beer with this kind of kick! Modestly hopped

style of paper bag and dumpster are yours.

Good luck,
Wild

Back