Band aid flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcodd87

Reaction score
First batch almost 2 weeks into the bottle and it almost tastes medicinal or similar to a bandaid. I understand it could take longer to condition but this has me worried.

I'm think my fermentation temps could have been a limitless higher than what I wanted. Anyone else know what this could be?

Band aid taste is usually chlorine or chloramines in your water. Not sure that this is one that conditions out, either.

Lol just my luck because I have a pumpkin ale fermenting...I've lowered the temps to about the upper 68 on the pumpkin ale. So I'm thinking if it still tastes like band aids, then it must be water

Yeah as said above, that flavor can come with a vengeance from chlorinated water, or from a garden hose (if god forbid you used one for your water), or from yes high fermentation temperature. In any of those cases I wouldn't expect it to condition out. If its bottled and you don't like it, I'd personally dump it and go again. No reason to bum yourself out drinking beers you're not happy with.

Is there any way for to to treat the water that will not break the bank?

if not I know I can buy gallon of water for about 1.00$. 5-6$ extra each brew is nothing

Sure you can do it for free. I think there's something called "campden tablets" I don't know much about but I've heard removes that stuff.
But for free you can just draw the amount of water you need several days in advance and let it sit out in the open, or get an aquarium bubbler and bubble the full volume overnight before brewday. Should evaporate the chlorine.

Is there any way for to to treat the water that will not break the bank?

if not I know I can buy gallon of water for about 1.00$. 5-6$ extra each brew is nothing

I did this the first time I brewed and have saved the bottles to get them refilled at the Reverse Osmosis water dispenser outside the store for $0.35/gal. Its cheaper that buying new bottles every time. If you're going to go that route, check the machine to see if it was serviced/cleaned recently to ensure the filters are clean.

Also, if you're going to be buying filtered water, you might need to adjust it a bit with gypsum or other minerals to achieve the proper pH. Lots of threads on water quality on this forum.

Well I guess I'll know for sure whether it was temps or water in 3-4 weeks. I am keeping a closer eye on the temps for the pumpkin ale, but used the same water.

If the pumpkin ale turns out the same,try spring water. Not to be confused with ground (well) water. It comes from pockets in the bedrock & is cleaner with various trace minerals that are generally good to your yeast & flavor. I've used it alot in warmer weather,since tap water can taste like flat alkaseptzer at this point. The ales did def taste measurably better/cleaner. Cheap price too,especially RO water. But RO doesn't have the trace minerals that the yeast like. Youyr call...both are fine.

Back