Anyone ever hear of this? Killer prices!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I'm in the market for another 15 gallon brew kettle. I bought my last one from www.homebrewstuff.com for about $250 after shipping. It's a great kettle. In my most recent search, I found what appears to be the very same kettle for only $183.07 with free shipping. The website is www.farrato.com and I'm wondering if anyone has ever purchased from them? I emailed them and hope to hear back by tomorrow, just as verification.

Penrose here, you can get it for 170 with coupon code brew2012 at checkout.
I started with a 8 gallon kettle from homebrewstuff, it was a good kettle.

image-3480158508.jpg

The Penrose looks like a decent option, though when I look on the website, I don't see options for multiple ports (for thermometer and sightglass); it also looks like it does not come with a ball valve. Ehh?

Thanks for the info!

*EDIT* Also... looks like no lid... and that coupon code is expired. Hmm...

Wow... that place has some killer deals on some very good looking kettles! Thanks so much for the recommendation, I think I founds me the right place ;)

Cheers!

Keep in mind these do not have the thick bottom. There is a reason why these are much cheaper. Not knocking them but you cannot compare apple to oranges.

That one looks perfect for me. Anyone familiar with Spike? Also 13 gal aluminum for $45 seems like a steal out of the bargain cave.

I've heard they are awesome :p

Keep in mind these do not have the thick bottom. There is a reason why these are much cheaper. Not knocking them but you cannot compare apple to oranges.

I'm glad you bring up this point. It's a VERY common misconception out there. We're newer into the market so I can't say where it stemmed from but I'd assume a market guy and not an engineering guy (not knocking marketers:p). We conducted specific testing to research the scorching issue that is everyone is so afraid of when it comes to single layer kettles. The results showed that scorching was not an issue. Our customers have also proved that it's not an issue since we've never had someone come back complaining about scorching. Also the 'holy grail' Blichmann kettles are only single layered.

The tri-bottoms are built with a little thicker side wall than us and Blichmann and obviously the thicker bottom. A 1mm side wall is plenty to hold up durability wise. The extra thickness just adds weight (in my opinion) since most people take great care of their equipment. For almost double the price of our kettles I just don't see them being worth the extra money. We used to (and still kind of do) offer them. But I always tell customers that I personally wouldn't buy a tri-bottom even if money wasn't an issue.

The only advantage of the tri-bottom is they can be used on a glass stove top as they sit perfectly flat and would conduct heat better.

That one looks perfect for me. Anyone familiar with Spike? Also 13 gal aluminum for $45 seems like a steal out of the bargain cave.

Does that steamer tray fit down inside the kettle to that indention near the bottom or on top?

The steamer tray sits about 1.5" from the bottom

Hey Spike, I am very interested in purchasing my kettle from you (HBT discount?? ;)). Couple questions:

1. How much would it cost to have you pre-drill a 13/16" hole in the lower side-wall of the kettle (want to install one of Bobby's weldless sightglasses).

2. If I order tonight, is there any chance I'd have it by Thursday (93720 is zip).

Thanks!

Hey Spike, I am very interested in purchasing my kettle from you (HBT discount?? ;)). Couple questions:

1. How much would it cost to have you pre-drill a 13/16" hole in the lower side-wall of the kettle (want to install one of Bobby's weldless sightglasses).

2. If I order tonight, is there any chance I'd have it by Thursday (93720 is zip).

Thanks!

1. $0
2. 0%

:p I have the step bit so consider that your HBT discount! And from me here in Wisco to Cali is a 4 day ride. I could probably have it there by Saturday for the standard free shipping rate. I could also bump it up to the 2-day shipping if you're interested in paying the difference?

SpikeBrewing said:
1. $0
2. 0%

:p I have the step bit so consider that your HBT discount! And from me here in Wisco to Cali is a 4 day ride. I could probably have it there by Saturday for the standard free shipping rate. I could also bump it up to the 2-day shipping if you're interested in paying the difference?

That's great, I'll mention this talk in the order. You're rad!

Went with SpikeBrewing.com and glad I did. Great prices and killer service!

Ordered at about 10pm last night... got the shipping confirmation when I woke up at 4am this morning. Good stuff.

Just curious, did you go with the stainless or opt for aluminum?

I have a 7 gal pot and have put off buying a bigger one until the funding is there but at these prices I wouldn't feel bad ordering, I'm just uncertain about aluminum due to durability.

Musky01 said:

I have a 7 gal pot and have put off buying a bigger one until the funding is there but at these prices I wouldn't feel bad ordering, I'm just uncertain about aluminum due to durability.

Stainless

SpikeBrewing said:
I'm glad you bring up this point. It's a VERY common misconception out there. We're newer into the market so I can't say where it stemmed from but I'd assume a market guy and not an engineering guy (not knocking marketers:p). We conducted specific testing to research the scorching issue that is everyone is so afraid of when it comes to single layer kettles. The results showed that scorching was not an issue. Our customers have also proved that it's not an issue since we've never had someone come back complaining about scorching. Also the 'holy grail' Blichmann kettles are only single layered.

The tri-bottoms are built with a little thicker side wall than us and Blichmann and obviously the thicker bottom. A 1mm side wall is plenty to hold up durability wise. The extra thickness just adds weight (in my opinion) since most people take great care of their equipment. For almost double the price of our kettles I just don't see them being worth the extra money. We used to (and still kind of do) offer them. But I always tell customers that I personally wouldn't buy a tri-bottom even if money wasn't an issue.

The only advantage of the tri-bottom is they can be used on a glass stove top as they sit perfectly flat and would conduct heat better.

I agree with the no scorching issue, however I have a 7.5 gallon kettle (not made by you,) and its single bottom is too thin. Its actually starting to bow due to heat stress and weight, pretty dumb honestly.

Again, I am not knocking a single layer stainless bottom or your product, just bringing it up. Besides, kegs are all single bottoms and you never hear complains in regards to scorching or flexing.

I agree with the no scorching issue, however I have a 7.5 gallon kettle (not made by you,) and its single bottom is too thin. Its actually starting to bow due to heat stress and weight, pretty dumb honestly.

Again, I am not knocking a single layer stainless bottom or your product, just bringing it up. Besides, kegs are all single bottoms and you never hear complains in regards to scorching or flexing.

You can definitely get too thin. We used to carry a 10gal that was .6mm. It was just too thin so we discontinued it. The 1mm kettles are very thick, I guarantee you won't have a problem with bowing, flexing, etc.

I'm in the market for another 15 gallon brew kettle. I bought my last one from www.homebrewstuff.com for about $250 after shipping. It's a great kettle. In my most recent search, I found what appears to be the very same kettle for only $183.07 with free shipping. The website is www.farrato.com and I'm wondering if anyone has ever purchased from them? I emailed them and hope to hear back by tomorrow, just as verification.

For the record, that second link appears to be a fake website that lures you in with low prices only to not let you purchase anything. They profit on the banners.

I have the 8 gallon aluminum pot in the bargain cave and it's a good pot. I've probably put ~30 batches through it and it's still going strong. One handle on mine leaked a very small amount, but that went away.

I have some dents in it, but that's more to do with my carelessness than anything. If you drop the empty pot off of your 3' tall brew stand you'll get a golf ball sized dent in it if it lands on a corner. If you do that again, you'll get another dent. Still brews just fine though.

I mean, it's a very light large aluminum pot. It's not the pot to end all pots, but it's functional and makes beer. Don't know what else I'd want :mug:

I have the 8 gallon aluminum pot in the bargain cave and it's a good pot. I've probably put ~30 batches through it and it's still going strong. One handle on mine leaked a very small amount, but that went away.

I have some dents in it, but that's more to do with my carelessness than anything. If you drop the empty pot off of your 3' tall brew stand you'll get a golf ball sized dent in it if it lands on a corner. If you do that again, you'll get another dent. Still brews just fine though.

I mean, it's a very light large aluminum pot. It's not the pot to end all pots, but it's functional and makes beer. Don't know what else I'd want :mug:

This sums up an aluminum pot very well. All aluminum (doesn't matter if it's 1mm or 6mm) will dent easily. It's just not a tough material. Treat it like a baby and it'll last a long time. Now if you've been saving for a while or are more well off, stainless is the way to go. More durable, easier to clean and shiny!! :cool:

I have a 15g aluminum pot that I have done 50+ batches on and I have never dented it even when dropping it from several feet off the ground.

I bought my pot from Wares Direct three years ago for about $60. The wall thickness is 6mm (1/4") and is super durable.

Aluminum pots are very durable if you get the right one.

No scorching. EVER.

Received my kettle... AWESOME!!! Feel like I got a great deal! Thanks Spike Brewing!

I might even upload a little unboxing video later...

Back