Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to plan my time with this game. I will only play when I have over an hour, or else... pausing just drives me NUTS! I agree that Dragons are too easy after the first few levels. GIANTS!!! Now there's a challenge!
The Skyrim world is HUGE, you gotta love just running through it encountering creatures and finding side quests or just enjoying the sights... man they put a lot of work in it!

My new PC running the game on ultra has it like... watching a movie! I keep taking screenshots of the awesome scenery.

Great game!

Man, I'm sooo jealous. Between juggling work, kids, and spending some qt with the wife, I hardly have time for any video games. It's all I can do to find some time to homebrew. Well, cheers! I'm tipping my next glass to the rest of you nerds! I'll probably end up playing Skyrim next year...:(

richkev said:
Man, I'm sooo jealous. Between juggling work, kids, and spending some qt with the wife, I hardly have time for any video games. It's all I can do to find some time to homebrew. Well, cheers! I'm tipping my next glass to the rest of you nerds! I'll probably end up playing Skyrim next year...:(

It's ok man its really not all that great of a game ;) hopefully I can get a few months worth out of it, and Mass Effect and Uncharted 3 will be in the used pile when I'm ready for a new game.

This game is so incredible: it's stealing my life!
Level 33 Dunmer with 73 Archery, 68 Sneak, and 61 Destruction.

It has it's bugs (PS3) and a couple are pretty major, but I'll patiently wait for the patch as I continue to slay my way to 100.

It's got Game of the Year in the bag, hands down.

The designers of this game have discovered time travel.. I sat down to play for a few minutes at 9pm and now it's 12:35am....

When I started this I rolled a melee dual wield melee character and made it to level 17 before getting bored. I rerolled a mage and it's way more fun. I play a mage in WoW also, which is probably why I like it so much. Melee in Skyrim just got boring after a while.

I'm at level 24 with my Redguard dual wielding mage warrior. Tough build to play, really forces you to learn to maneuver in battle.

Thinking of rerolling a thief/assassin character. I love the idea of actually getting to take all the goodies you see lying around everywhere and not getting caught for it.

I'm playing a Nord who specializes in sneaking around and shooting arrows at your ass. I always play snipers in FPSs so it feels familiar as well.

Such a great game! Bottlebomber, I too am into the archery. Get the 3x damage sneak attack on a double enchanted bow, and Bam! No more giant. Man there is some serious nerd coming out of me right now.....Better do something manly...

Anyone else playing the way my brother plays? He spends most of the time invisible and uses a rage spell to make enemies fight each other.

I've focused on one handed melee and a shield, but the strategy is basically hit the attack button repeatedly until a health/stamina potion is needed.

Anyone else playing the way my brother plays? He spends most of the time invisible and uses a rage spell to make enemies fight each other.

I've focused on one handed melee and a shield, but the strategy is basically hit the attack button repeatedly until a health/stamina potion is needed.

On my first character I was just kind of figuring out the game and experimenting. The second character I did I focused more on two handed & heavy armor. If you're saying you're tired of melee - I'm kind of with you. Thinking of starting a pure mage type character, as I've not even touched the illusion skill tree at all.

My next character will be a sneaky mage thief... still gonna keep the bow and arrow skills though. I wonder how many skills you could max through the course of the game.

My next character will be a sneaky mage thief... still gonna keep the bow and arrow skills though. I wonder how many skills you could max through the course of the game.

I keep reading that 81 is the theoretical max for a character's overall level - so that would be 80 perks you could take. You can definitely level all skills to 100 though, just can't take all the perks.

I keep reading that 81 is the theoretical max for a character's overall level - so that would be 80 perks you could take. You can definitely level all skills to 100 though, just can't take all the perks.

I have heard this as well. Supposedly level 50 is the "soft level cap" for a character's overall level: at this point it becomes very difficult to level until you eventually top out at 81.

I'm at level 40 and things have slowed down quite a bit. I'm starting to plan my perks very carefully...

I got it from SWMBO as a christmas present today.

I also found out her brother had taken a projector home from work and wasn't ever going to use it, so I hooked up the XBOX and was playing battlefield 3 and skyrim on a GIANT wall sized screen earlier. AWESOME.

I am downloading it now for PC via Steam.. they had 33% off yesterday :D But I ordered a new video card because I know my current setup won't do it justice.

Im in withdrawal. The new graphics card i got was defective and crashed after 10 minutes of playing. I cant play until thursday when i get the replacement card.

I just got Skyrim the other day and I'm hooked. I was somewhat disappointed in myself though. After being hooked on FFXI for 5 years I had told myself, "never another rpg." At least Skyrim isn't online so I feel a bit better about that.

I'm up to level 12 and still dying all the time. I have pretty simple combat techniques. Dark magic in 1 hand. Healing magic in the other hand. Works OK but I think I gotta change my strategy. Dying way too much. See a giant...oops I'm dead. See an Ice Wolf...oops I'm dead. Go in a dark cave...oops I'm dead. You get the picture.

I've been willy nilly with my perks. Most of them I've put in destruction. I've put a few in smithing and lockpicking. I regret the lockpicking already.

I haven't seen that you need any lockpicking perks. I don't have any, and can pick "master" locks after no more than 5 or 6 tries. Just buy plenty of lock picks. When I was a lower level the only way I could successfully kill giants was to get on a rock where they couldn't reach me, then shoot them till dead. You could probably do the same with your destruction magic though.

I'm up to level 12 and still dying all the time. I have pretty simple combat techniques. Dark magic in 1 hand. Healing magic in the other hand. Works OK but I think I gotta change my strategy. Dying way too much. See a giant...oops I'm dead. See an Ice Wolf...oops I'm dead. Go in a dark cave...oops I'm dead. You get the picture.

I've been willy nilly with my perks. Most of them I've put in destruction. I've put a few in smithing and lockpicking. I regret the lockpicking already.

Have you tried using both hands to cast the destruction spell (especially if you have the perk) or using a ward spell in the second hand to cut down on damage taken?

I have the dual casting perk. I use it when I can if I feel like I won't need the healing.

I've tried the ward but it seems to eat through mp (magika) pretty fast. I've been trying 2 new techniques. I've been toying with conjuring. Conjur the dog and run away to a safe distance....re-summon, rinse, repeat. Kinda slow but it works.

2nd method is dual cast til low on mp then run away til it recharges. Works ok.

Just started playing yesterday. Love the game!

I've been running a battle-mage, there isn't much that can take a gout of fire(our other appropriate element) for softening up, followed with a gentle thwack from a superior mace. The heavy armor helps too.

viking73 said:
Just started playing yesterday. Love the game!

I've been running a battle-mage, there isn't much that can take a gout of fire(our other appropriate element) for softening up, followed with a gentle thwack from a superior mace. The heavy armor helps too.

If you're in a bar and you get challenged to a drinking match do it. It's relevant to HBT.

TMet said:
If you're in a bar and you get challenged to a drinking match do it. It's relevant to HBT.

*potential spoiler*

Why just because you wander around the countryside wasted? ;)

TMet said:

I'm too cheap at this point in the game to spend money on booze when I can just raid a dungeon for it!

It wont cost you any money

that was another thing that got me about bethesda.

I was playing oblivion the other night, and walked into the back of a tavern and there was all the equipment for brewing the beer they served there.

I was like "Woah, a conical fermenter!"

and probably about 99% of people playing the game have no idea what the thing is or why it's there. Thought it was cool.

Great game... I'm level 41... and at this point leveling is so slow, it's faster to raise XP by paying someone to teach me something (enchanting, illusion) crap skills that I probably won't use a whole lot of... but the game is still ridiculous and crazy fun. Cheers!

So last night I found myself needing to pilfer a few minor items. Well, after picking the lock on a farmhouse, I am met by a couple dogs inside who immediately start barking. My traveling companion bludgeons them both to death with a mace.

Somewhat surprised at this turn of events, I shake it off and attempt to pick the pocket of the house's sleeping owner. I fail; he wakes up and comes at me with a knife. I attempt to flee, but behind me I hear my companion scream: "Hyaaaagh!!!" When I turn around, the owner is lying dead in a heap.

I sort of stared dumbfounded at the screen for about 2 minutes before reloading the game from a previous save point, making a mental note not to ever piss off my traveling companion.

bernerbrau said:
So last night I found myself needing to pilfer a few minor items. Well, after picking the lock on a farmhouse, I am met by a couple dogs inside who immediately start barking. My traveling companion bludgeons them both to death with a mace.

Somewhat surprised at this turn of events, I shake it off and attempt to pick the pocket of the house's sleeping owner. I fail; he wakes up and comes at me with a knife. I attempt to flee, but behind me I hear my companion scream: "Hyaaaagh!!!" When I turn around, the owner is lying dead in a heap.

I sort of stared dumbfounded at the screen for about 2 minutes before reloading the game from a previous save point, making a mental note not to ever piss off my traveling companion.

Lol... I don't bring those guys with me unless its to help pillage a dungeon, for exactly those kinds of reasons. I like to sneak to get the advantage, and then while im assessing the enemy situation my guy will charge the wizards with his sword out. So they get to stay at home now.

I have been having an absolute blast with Skyrim. I'm playing a bizarre mix of two-handed heavy armor fighter and sneak-thief but hey, it's working out so far.

I gotta say, my favorite part of the entire game so far? Standing in the middle of the Whiterun market, pulling out a fresh human heart from my inventory, and chowing down. "Always a nice day with you around," says a passer-by: and she means it. My kind of town.

ABrewingApe said:
I have been having an absolute blast with Skyrim. I'm playing a bizarre mix of two-handed heavy armor fighter and sneak-thief but hey, it's working out so far.

I started out doing the same thing, but found that with all the sneaking I was doing I ended up doing 80% of my killin with arrows. So now the greatsword only comes out when the enemies are up in my face.

I do a fair bit of shooting myself, but mostly I use the sneaking to get closer so I can bust heads more effectively with my glass hammer. There has never been a better weapon, and there will never be a better weapon. The glass hammer conquers all.

ABrewingApe said:
I do a fair bit of shooting myself, but mostly I use the sneaking to get closer so I can bust heads more effectively with my glass hammer. There has never been a better weapon, and there will never be a better weapon. The glass hammer conquers all.

What makes it so great? I never used the one I found, I sold it. The hammers are too slow. The skull crushing finishing blow is always fun though ;)

I'm partial to the pair of dual-enchanted legendary glass swords. One strike, 63 magic damage + fear. Most things go down like flies, and the ones that don't run screaming. That's when you cast Revenant on one of the dead bodies and send him to finish off his former friend.

Was a level 40 warrior, dual weapons of axe and sword, one enchanted with fire, the other with soul trap.

After experiencing the Companions major bug (Xbox), had to start over. I'm back up to level 20.

Big difference between Skyrim and Oblivion, soul gems are everywhere. I went into this Dwarven ruin and came out with 40 soul gems!

I played the Drinking Contest quest last night (Where's my goat!), but I think it was bugged too. I was fighting some mages in a ruin, when the screen goes black. Next thing I know, the quest is done? Not going to spoil it, but its totally worth the reward.

bstacy1974 said:
Was a level 40 warrior, dual weapons of axe and sword, one enchanted with fire, the other with soul trap.

After experiencing the Companions major bug (Xbox), had to start over. I'm back up to level 20.

Big difference between Skyrim and Oblivion, soul gems are everywhere. I went into this Dwarven ruin and came out with 40 soul gems!

I played the Drinking Contest quest last night (Where's my goat!), but I think it was bugged too. I was fighting some mages in a ruin, when the screen goes black. Next thing I know, the quest is done? Not going to spoil it, but its totally worth the reward.

Yeah you kinda got gyped on that daedra quest. The end was pretty neat.

Back