Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get a 5-gal stoneware enameled pot from Wally World for about $25. It's what I've been using since I started, and I'm probably going to get a 2nd soon.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a keg (through legal channels) and get the top cut off of it. I blew 80 bucks on a 6 gallon SS pot, and it's pretty useless. My 15.5 gallon keggle is awesome and I love it.

Important upgrades:

weldless thermometer / sight glass combo kit from Bobby M (brewhardware.com)
weldless ball valve (I think Bobby M sells these as well)

I've read that iron clad pots are the way to go. I've seen pots with gauges that are close to $300!!! Very confusing.

Jakemo said:
You can get a 5-gal stoneware enameled pot from Wally World for about $25. It's what I've been using since I started, and I'm probably going to get a 2nd soon.

I wouldn't buy one but I used the MILs pot like this for the first couple. I gotta say tho for reals, even if you do extract, full boil is the way to go. I am on a 7.5 gal turkey fryer atmo. Not the greatest but it's better than a par boil.

I've read that iron clad pots are the way to go. I've seen pots with gauges that are close to $300!!! Very confusing.

I think the pot that works for you is the way to go. Get one that you can expand on. If you want to do all grain, your going to need a large pot. Personally, I got a 7.5 gallon pot and I am happy with it. 300 dollar pot? not to confusing, no way for me at least until maybe I actually need it. Find a pot that will last and that you can afford and go make some great beer.

I wouldn't buy one but I used the MILs pot like this for the first couple. I gotta say tho for reals, even if you do extract, full boil is the way to go. I am on a 7.5 gal turkey fryer atmo. Not the greatest but it's better than a par boil.

this is what I did, I got a pot, and an outdoor burner for 50.00. perfect.

I personally don't see any reason to go full boil on extract or partial... (Or AG but that's another discussion).

But i suppose if you have the coin and the room to buy and make use of a larger pot, you might as well!

Whatchu got against stoneware, huh? ;)

I read that you have to be careful with the enameled pots. If there is a chip to the metal bad things will happen. I am using a 20 qt aluminum stock pot bought at the grocery store. I saw them at my local store a couple days ago on sale for $19.95. This reminds me I have ordered 2 partial mash kits and need a pot for sparge water. Guess I'll go get one to tide me over until I get a bigger pot for full grain.

That is true, you do need to beware of chips, but i probably couldn't adequately explain how hard it is to chip one... I use as stainless steel stir spoon and haven't even come close to chipping it.

However, they don't hold heat as well as I might like. That's about my only complaint thus far.

Got an outdoor burner last week. Still need the pot.

do it right the first time and save lots of time, trouble and money. i have 4 kettles because of short term thinking. ended up buying a keg and converted it to a kettle for 10 gallon batches also have a 10 gallon blichmann i use for smaller batches the other two kettles (7.5 and 5 gallon) just sit around looking small and sad.

Extract or not, you should do full wort boils if you can. So get yourself a pot that's at least 8 gallons for 5 gallon batches. I have an aluminum pot that I love. It's light and cheap.

I would suggest getting a turkey fryer kit. 7.5 gallon pot + propane burner will carry you pretty far on a minimal investment. That way you can get more comfortable with your process before stepping up (if you decide to do so) into all grain.

The 7.5 gallon pot will let you do full 5 gallon boils while still being small enough to do partial boils initially.

I would suggest getting a turkey fryer kit. 7.5 gallon pot + propane burner will carry you pretty far on a minimal investment. That way you can get more comfortable with your process before stepping up (if you decide to do so) into all grain.

The 7.5 gallon pot will let you do full 5 gallon boils while still being small enough to do partial boils initially.

He said he already has the burner. ;)

I still don't see why one *has to* do full boils if they don't want to... I don't believe there's any tangible benefit for extract or PM batches...

+1 on the Full Boils. I believe full boils are by far the best way to go. But, I would go no smaller than a 10 gallon brewpot with with a valve and thermometer. Don't forget the Wort Chiller. Life is so much easier now that I changed over to this setup.

I have a similar question as the OP, I'm looking to get a new brew kettle for my new hobby and am unsure of what direction (size, material, fittings, etc.) that I should go.

I would like to be able to do BOTH 3gal and 5gal extract FULL BOILS with the same pot. Is this possible or will one be too big/too small for the other? Does the material really matter? I can always make holes and add fittings later, so I guess that part isn't too important from the get go.

I'm thinking that the 7.5gal turkey fryer option would be best to hold me over for quite some time (If I ever decided to go AG), but is 7.5gal pot big enough to do a full boil on a 5gal extract? Is it TOO big for a 3gal full boil?

I think the question of stainless v aluminum come up at this point, with various pros and cons on both sides.... I'm looking at that pot too, now ;)

I have a similar question as the OP, I'm looking to get a new brew kettle for my new hobby and am unsure of what direction (size, material, fittings, etc.) that I should go.

I would like to be able to do BOTH 3gal and 5gal extract FULL BOILS with the same pot. Is this possible or will one be too big/too small for the other? Does the material really matter? I can always make holes and add fittings later, so I guess that part isn't too important from the get go.

I'm thinking that the 7.5gal turkey fryer option would be best to hold me over for quite some time (If I ever decided to go AG), but is 7.5gal pot big enough to do a full boil on a 5gal extract? Is it TOO big for a 3gal full boil?

A 7.5 gal pot is big enough for a full 5 gallon boil, and small enough for a 3 gallon partial boil. The turkey fryer pots tend to be taller and skinnier than other similarly sized pots which has 2 main benefits (among others). The smaller surface area means less boil off, so you don't have to start with lots of additional water to start. The tall skinny pot also means that 3 gallons will still fill it up a good ways, so you don't have to worry (too much) about scorching on a partial boil.

Hope this helps!

I would never recc less than 15G pot if you EVER plan on going to:
1. All grain
2. 10G batches

You can always comfortably do 3G, 5G or whatever batches in a 15G pot. 7.5G is way too close and begging for a boil over. If you ever go to AG, 7.5G will be very limiting. If you think you will only do 5G batches and extract only I would still say to get a 10G pot at a minimum. A slightly bigger pot is WAYYY better that a slightly too small pot.

CidahMastah said:
I would never recc less than 15G pot if you EVER plan on going to:
1. All grain
2. 10G batches

You can always comfortably do 3G, 5G or whatever batches in a 15G pot. 7.5G is way too close and begging for a boil over. If you ever go to AG, 7.5G will be very limiting. If you think you will only do 5G batches and extract only I would still say to get a 10G pot at a minimum. A slightly bigger pot is WAYYY better that a slightly too small pot.

I do agree bigger is a good idea but you can do a 5 gallon AG with a 10 gallon pot. You don't need a 15 gallon for that. Some bigger beers maybe but most you can use a 10 gallon. 15 gallon definitely for 10 gallon batches.

People on here act like you can only buy one pot ever and you are stuck with it lol. Doing 5 gallon batches on 7.5 gallon and yeah I can't do longer boils than 60 min but it will be no problem when I upgrade. I only paid 50 bucks for the pot and burner it's not a big deal.

I started AG with a 7 gal turkey fryer setup. It was crowded for a 5 gal batch, I had to watch for boil overs. It was less than ideal.

I now do 10 gal batches in a converted keg (keggle). Just buy an empty one off craigslist and cut the top off and install a weldless bulkhead fitting. Then use a heatstick or two to boil, it is much much cheaper than gas and cooler which is good when my garage gets to 100 deg easy in the summertime (FL). Or mount the element in the keggle, that's actually even cheaper (but not as versatile).

You could definitely do a 5 gal batch in a keggle but you'll never do a 10 gal batch in a turkey fryer.

I'd like a 10 gallon with valve and thermometer. Are these frills I don't need?

I'd like a 10 gallon with valve and thermometer. Are these frills I don't need?

Thermometer would be cool - but I use a Weber remote BBQ thermo anyway, so I don't have to stand near the pot. Being able to do other things will steeping grain is cool. It lets me just chill out and let the stuff do its work without me dicking around with it too much, if that makes sense.

Valve would be useful for that large of a pot indeed. 10 gallons is a lot of hot liquid to be hauling around. I'd put it on as a mandatory thing for that large of a vessel.

I still don't see why one *has to* do full boils if they don't want to... I don't believe there's any tangible benefit for extract or PM batches...

I could not disagree with you more. I did partial boils for many years, and when i switched to full boils I saw a dramatic improvement in the beers that I made. Coloring was improved, as was hop utilization. Don't get me wrong, if you can't do full boils you can make awesome beer, but to suggest there aren't any tangible benefits to doing a full boil over partial is just plain wrong.

+ 1 on importance of a full boil

People on here act like you can only buy one pot ever and you are stuck with it lol. Doing 5 gallon batches on 7.5 gallon and yeah I can't do longer boils than 60 min but it will be no problem when I upgrade. I only paid 50 bucks for the pot and burner it's not a big deal.

You can always buy larger. but why waste $50 on a pot that once your out grow.... will have virtually no replay value or use for your system. Sorry dude but that is what I call bad advice.

I do agree bigger is a good idea but you can do a 5 gallon AG with a 10 gallon pot. You don't need a 15 gallon for that. Some bigger beers maybe but most you can use a 10 gallon. 15 gallon definitely for 10 gallon batches.

Just pointing this out (not sure if I am reading your reply wrong) - No way you are doing any full boil 10 gallon batch in a 10 gal pot if you are doing full boils.

If I do a 10 Gallon 60 minute batch I need to start with about 13G in my pot so I end up with about 11G, which comes out to just a bit more than 2 5gallon batches after I rack it off the trub. If I do 90 minute boils I need 14 gallons.

I would definitely recommend a ball valve and a therm for each pot (for AG). It is nice to look at the therm and know if you are at strike temp/ steeping grains (AG and extract), mash temp (AG) or nearing your boil (AG and extract). Let's you know when you are about to get hot break, and to watch the pot for oil overs or start your hop schedule

danorocks17 said:
I could not disagree with you more. I did partial boils for many years, and when i switched to full boils I saw a dramatic improvement in the beers that I made. Coloring was improved, as was hop utilization. Don't get me wrong, if you can't do full boils you can make awesome beer, but to suggest there aren't any tangible benefits to doing a full boil over partial is just plain wrong.

I can see where you're coming from on AG batches, but again, for partial mash and extract+steeping recipes, if you add the extract late (I add mine immediately after boil), coloring shouldn't be affected, and I actually have to scale back hop additions to keep the ibus from getting out of control when late-adding the extract.

That pot isn't 50 dollars. It came as part of the turkey fryer and I will have plenty of use for it when I upgrade. Collecting wort for one. Let me put it to you this way I have done 5 AG brews already with this thing. If I had to save up for a bigger one I'd still be saving.

+ 1 on importance of a full boil

You can always buy larger. but why waste $50 on a pot that once your out grow.... will have virtually no replay value or use for your system. Sorry dude but that is what I call bad advice.

Just pointing this out (not sure if I am reading your reply wrong) - No way you are doing any full boil 10 gallon batch in a 10 gal pot if you are doing full boils.

If I do a 10 Gallon 60 minute batch I need to start with about 13G in my pot so I end up with about 11G, which comes out to just a bit more than 2 5gallon batches after I rack it off the trub. If I do 90 minute boils I need 14 gallons.

I would definitely recommend a ball valve and a therm for each pot (for AG). It is nice to look at the therm and know if you are at strike temp/ steeping grains (AG and extract), mash temp (AG) or nearing your boil (AG and extract). Let's you know when you are about to get hot break, and to watch the pot for oil overs or start your hop schedule

I think he means you can get away with using a 10 gallon pot for a 5 gallon full-boil most of the time, unless maybe it's a bigger beer. However, for a 10 gallon batch, you need a 15 gallon pot.

I think he means you can get away with using a 10 gallon pot for a 5 gallon full-boil most of the time, unless maybe it's a bigger beer. However, for a 10 gallon batch, you need a 15 gallon pot.

Exactly. A 10 gallon pot would be fine for 95% of 5 gallon batches (bigger beers and longer boils might need a slightly bigger pot).

Back