Do you ever drink BMC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
Just curious. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my good beers but often when I'm with friends watching NASCAR, Football, etc, I will partake in some BMC action. This is especially true when we camp in the infield for the races. I'll normally be drinking Miller Lite with the rest of the guys for the weekend. Just wondering if I should be banned from this site forever or if anyone else tips back with a few of the industrial lagers from time to time. :cross:

I drink BMC when courtesy dictates it. When my boss or a host hands me an open can or bottle I take it, thank them and stop at one. Other than that, if BMC is the only thing available I drink regular water.
My mother taught me to be polite and thank people even when they are handing me a pile of shyte.

Sure.

Just because I love a great steak or a delicately baked apple pie from a great chef doesn't mean I won't ever eat a prepackaged frozen dinner with a little bitty 'apple crumble' in the corner when I'm short on time or just plain feeling cheap and lazy.

Okay, I will admit I like an ice cold PBR on a hot sunny day after cutting the grass. That stuff goes down like lemonade.

That's awesome. and there's something very right about drinking a corona on Ft Meyers beach or while fishing off some sand bar.

The recent re-release of Schlitz has made anotehr pretty good hot day beverage.

And once in a while I get in a mood and enjoy alcopops--- Mike's Hard Lemonade has some good flavors.

Absolutely. Just because I enjoy really good beer doesn't mean I need to act like I'm too good for "regular beer". I know for a fact that I can cook a 16oz New York strip steak better than 95% of the places I've had one at... does that mean I insist that every time I eat a steak it has to be one of MY steaks, cooked exactly how *I* like it? No, of course not. I'll eat a buddy's steak, even if he can't cook as well as I can... even if he (*gasp*) bought the cheapo flank steak at the store and overcooked it on the grill because it was cut too thin. It's still meat, and it will still taste better than tofu. :)

So yeah, I don't think that appreciating the finer side of beer means that it's necessary to insist on "top shelf" every time... as long as I'm not comparing it to Stiegl Pils, there's no reason for it to "fall short", since I know exactly what it is, and it makes little pretension about what it is.

Besides... after about 6 Miller Lites, you start wondering exactly why you're supposed to hate BMC so much.... it's like they just jump into your hand and pour themselves down your throat... ;)

Hell yeah. When I am on the river. After taking a good run in my kayak. All I want is a PBR. The largest AMERICAN owned beer company in America.

I LOVE PBR..............Well at least when I want a cheap beer.

Me personally, no.

Honestly I never was a big fan of it even when it was the only beer I knew. My idea of a summer thirst quencher is a nice Kolsch, American Wheat, or other summer seasonal.

I joke about BMC with the rest, but it's your beer... Enjoy it. To be completely honest even though I'd never buy a BMC for myself, if you offered me a M or C, I'd probably drink one. Budweiser always gives me problems though. Every bad beer hangover/puke has been from Bud.

I never understood the whole hatred of BMC in the homebrewing community....

I will never try to brew a BMC-type beer - yet they've been extremely successful in doing so.

I drink Bud Light quite a bit, and not afraid to admit it. To each their own...:mug:

Okay, I will admit I like an ice cold PBR on a hot sunny day after cutting the grass. That stuff goes down like lemonade.

+1,000 There is absolutely nothing wrong with PBR. It is a well made pilsner lager. It is an award winning beer. That's why they call it Blue Ribbon.:D

It can be just the ticket on a hot summer day. It also makes a good chaser for an Imperial IPA.

I never understood the whole hatred of BMC in the homebrewing community....

I will never try to brew a BMC-type beer - yet they've been extremely successful in doing so.

I drink Bud Light quite a bit, and not afraid to admit it. To each their own...:mug:

Jump into the wayback machine and think about what it was like just 10-15 years ago....Prb has a lot to do with many homebrewers traditionally being driven to brewing their own because of the desire for non-BMC style beer and the lack of alternatives that used to be available (and in some areas, still not available). Add all in all the lore of corn & rice being cheap, assembly line brewing, etc and homebrewers easily step into the role of David to sling rocks at the giant.

Jump into the wayback machine and think about what it was like just 10-15 years ago....Prb has a lot to do with many homebrewers traditionally being driven to brewing their own because of the desire for non-BMC style beer and the lack of alternatives that used to be available (and in some areas, still not available). Add all in all the lore of corn & rice being cheap, assembly line brewing, etc and homebrewers easily step into the role of David to sling rocks at the giant.

Thats why I homebrew... the big breweries have a stranglehold on beer here and I got sick of cheap czech & dutch beer or Guiness/BMC. Anything else (Good belgian, german, czech or american beer) is crazy expensive and I can't afford a €20 6er of SNPA (about $30), so I brew good stuff for home drinking.

If I'm out, I usually drink Guiness, but every 3 months or so I find myself in the mood for a bud or miller.

I've also come to really enjoy homebrewing.

I will drink coors, molson, labatt if offered at a friend's place, but I won't buy it a restuarant or bar. If they only have BMC style beers on tap, I usually stick to Coke or Pepsi. I just don't find it worth it anymore.

Well, I'll keep the spirit of beer snobbery alive. I rarely ever touch BMC or anything else of that nature. I honestly don't like the stuff. Too each his own of course. If I could drink beer that cost $8 a 12 pack, I'd be one happy camper.
I started drinking in my mid to late teens and within a couple years pretty much drank nothing but imports because in the mid 80's that's pretty much all there was that had flavor. While my buddies were drinking 40's of Bud I was buying sixers of St Pauli Girl, Bass, Guiness, Molson Golden, or Yuengling, or stuff from the Beers from around the world place that I couldn't even pronounce the name of.

By the 90's I had discoverred Sam Adams and Petes and came back to American beers and my appreciation has grown as the microbrew revolution has blossomed. If BMC were to become the only beers in the world, I'm pretty sure I would stop drinking beer. To me it's like taking a steak lover, and saying here is a piece of cardboard that we wiped across the top of a hamburger. Hope you enjoy your dinner.

There's not much difference between a Molson and a Bud other than the country it was made in (yea, I do prefer a Molson but not by much). I find that a lot of Americans into "good" beers automatically reject any American Macrobrew as swill, but happily drink away on Macros from other countries that are really not much better. I think PBR is up there with the best pilseners aside from Urquell.

I'm saying this as an American expat, not a European. The American macros are very common in europe and widely drank, although I think Budweiser here is actually better. And I don't mean the Czech version, Budhejovicky Budvar, which is also a macrobrew, but the US beer brewed by Diageo under license. Here's an interesting factoid: Budhejovicky (premium czech beer) and Prasky (cheap czech crap) are from the same brewery and taste the same.

I rarely drink BMC. Really the only time is...when my neighbor hands me a free Bud lite over the fence...and when I'm mowing I actually drink MGD Lite.....

I have a labatts or molson after hockey. Heavier beers take to long to get down. Since I get off the ice about midnight I gottta get q couple down in a short window. 6am comes up quick.

Not very often, but I stocked Labatt's in the garage for the FIL for a while. I think he is growing out of BMC though, so maybe I start stepping it up a notch. But I do like the Schlitz that is out now. I might even start stocking that for when I want a good light beer.

I don't remember when the last time was that I bought a BMC type beer for personal consumption at home... However just last night I had a few Miller Lite's at the bowling alley. My team takes turns buying pitchers, and even though I'd prefer to go with Yuengling or Killians, I go with what they all drink.

I rarely ever drink BMCs due to my own choice. I'll drink it if it's the ONLY beer available and I'm at a party or something. It's not snobbery, it's just that I genuinely don't like them very much. Most of them end up giving me a headache- especially the light ones.

I drink BMC all the time while playing drinking games. No use wasting great tasty brews on beer pong and *******

I don't buy it for home consumption or anything, but when the situation dictates I'll put back a few. It's not like it's poison or something.

I never buy any BMC, but if someone offers me a bud or a miller, I will drink one. This normally happens at my in laws before I am able to go to the beer store, or chill one of my beers. Now I do buy some of the michelob seasonals, like the jacks pumpkin spice, or the bourbon cask ale.

Well, I'll keep the spirit of beer snobbery alive. I rarely ever touch BMC or anything else of that nature. I honestly don't like the stuff. Too each his own of course.

Your tolerance of BMC drinkers belies your claim to beer snobbery. : )

I don't remember when the last time was that I bought a BMC type beer for personal consumption at home... However just last night I had a few Miller Lite's at the bowling alley. My team takes turns buying pitchers, and even though I'd prefer to go with Yuengling or Killians, I go with what they all drink.

I would kill to be able to get Yuengling here in colorado. I miss that beer. I lived in hazleton PA and then State College for a while. You could get kegs of Yuengling for about $36. That is about all I drank. We have Fat Tire but it just isn't the same. When my friends come out to visit they always bring me a case.

On the flip side. I always bring them a case of Fat Tire when I go home.

I never buy it... If it's a social event and that is all that is being served I'll drink a miller lite (that's what I used to drink before I started brewing), but I never order one when there is another choice.

I rarely buy beer at all anymore. I only buy it when I'm looking for a commercial example or have a craving for a particular style I don't have on hand.

I'd kill for Yuengling here in Ireland too. I talked to the guy at my local beer shop about it but he's limited to what his importer will bring in from the states.

I see it the other way around. I can drink just about any cheap beer but it is some of the other beers I might pass on like some of the overly hopped beers. I regularly drink Natural Lite because I can drink a bunch of them over the course of 6 hours without not being able to get out of bed the next day and it is cheap. It is also less filling to me. I may now stop and get a 12 pack of PBR or that new Schlitz someone mentioned. Those beers are awesome too if you are doing shots or something but that is a rare occasion.

I buy 2 30 packs of Natural Lite at a time since a trip to the liquor store is like a ½ hour round trip from my house. :)

I drink Bud products if I'm at a MMA event. Other than that the only cheap beer I drink is Blatz or Schlitz at home, and then it's only once in awhile when I want to pretend I have a mullet and no teef.

Sure, I will. As a few others mentioned, BMC often is what a host offers, and I will graciously accept it. Sometimes, at a pool party or similar situations, something light and crisp like that is just what the doctor orders. No doubt, there are better options than BMC and their ilk, but you go with the flow, if for no other reason to be a good guest.

If BMC is the only beer option, but there are other options (such as wine or liquor), I often will "shift away" from beer for the rest of the time after having a beer or two.

Now, I cannot remember the last time I just ordered such a beer at a bar or restaurant. And, other than picking up beer for sensory training kits, I cannot remember when I last bought any at a store.

TL

I will always drink Bud Light when playing or watching softball, not many good beers in cans. A buddy goes back to PA approx twice a year and shoots back a few cases of yuengleng.

I have been know to down a original Coors and even a Coors lite. But I would say my go to if I was to drink macro would be Yuengling its the same price and has some flavor.

Back