Who is the best SNL alum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who is the best SNL alum

• Bill Murray

• Chevy Chase

• Dan Akroyd

• John Belushi

• Will Ferrell

• Mike Myers

• Eddie Murphy

• Adam Sandler

• David Spade

• Chris Farley

Results are only viewable after voting.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I hope I haven't left any of the big ones out. I'm probably missing a couple from the old days. I mainly mean what they did after they left.

It's so hard to say, mostly because they're all really good. I picked Bill Murray, mostly because he's still making movies that are still even halfway good.

I picked John Belushi. He was a one of a kind original and I was in my teens when he was on SNL. I thought he was hysterically funny back then. he could raise one eyebrow and I'd dissolve into laughter. Bill Murray is my second choice.

Lorena

Bill Murray based on longevity and quality of work. Belushi only lasted a couple of movies. Chevy Chase WOULD have been second, but I think Mike Meyers gets props.

Cheesefood said:
Belushi only lasted a couple of movies.

it's called a SPEEDBALL death...

i think without his personal addictions he would have gone onto further greatness...

Maybe it's just a generational thing, but I like almost all of Adam Sandler's movies (even if he plays the same character all the time). Mike Myers has done well, but I think Chris Farley would have been great had he not tried to emulate EVERY aspect of John Belushi's life.

I picked Bill Murray. Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, What about Bob? I hated Lost in Translation but I guess everyone needs a gimme once in a while. Eddie Murphy was a close second although he does more family oriented stuff these days. Belushi and Farley don't have the longevity and Aykroyd hasn't been funny in 10 years. Sandler mostly plays the same character, although a very funny character. I also almost went with Chevy Chase for the Vacation movies and The Three Amigos.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, substitue Phil Hartman for David Spade!

I went with Bill Murray for "Stripes" alone... he was great as Carl in Caddyshack, but "Stripes" is a Tour De Force... :rockin: I loved Belushi, Aykroyd was always ok with me... but the uber smarta$$ title falls to Murray....

Ize

yeah that was tough! I voted for Mike Myers because he is the most relevant and he wrote the 'Austin Powers' stuff. But Bill Murray is probably my fav for 'ground hog day','what about bob', and 'caddyshack' alone.

although chevy chase stopped being funny years ago you gotta love 'Fletch' and the 'Vacation' movies.

I really thought that Eddie Murphy would top it out followed by Bill Murray or Mike Myers. When Murphy was hot, he was incredibly hot. and now he's still pretty good, even though he's so tame.

You left out Dennis Miller, but since he was the worst host of Monday night football I dont think he should get ANY votes.

Dana Carvey was pretty funny too.

There's a whole second tier of SNL alums that I think kick ass as well. My favorite among them... Christopher Guest. I mean.... Spinal Tap... the "six fingered man" in the Princess Bride... countless other movies. He's hilarious.

Got to vote for Wisconsin's own Chris Farley. It's because of him that I live in a van down by the river and work at a male dance club. But Tommy Boy, Black Sheep, and his parts in Wayne's Worlds are good too.

Bill Murray because he's expanded so much as an actual actor over the years. His old stuff, just raunchy comedy, still holds up for what it is, but I really enjoy the movies he's made in recent years. Plus, his cameo (with the Wu-Tang Clan) in "Coffee + Cigarettes" was absolutely insane.

It's a plot perpetrated by the man ! It's all about male corporate white oppression and keeping a brother down ! How come there's no mention of Garrett Morris ? Granted, he only did a couple of cameos in some low grade movies after SNL, but you must agree with me that his " People of Namibia need your fondue sets" skit was pretty damn funny.
OK, I vote for Belushi too, you racist bastards.

Please note that any and all caustic or racial remarks are a direct result of the author's drunkeness and do not directly reflect the opinions of this forum or any other party that may be held responsible for their content. The author still thinks the "People of Namibia" sketch is the best of all time. So, THERE!

sause said:
Got to vote for Wisconsin's own Chris Farley. It's because of him that I live in a van down by the river and work at a male dance club.

Uh...

I don't care how short Belushi's career was, I don't think any comic can ever top him. The Samurai Deli, etc was the best. When you throw in Animal House, it just can't be beat.

Oh yeah...

What...No Norm MacDonald????:D

Worst...Weekend Update Host.....Ever.......

It's pretty bad when there's dead silence after every single joke he tells.

sudsmonkey said:
It's a plot perpetrated by the man ! It's all about male corporate white oppression and keeping a brother down ! How come there's no mention of Garrett Morris ? Granted, he only did a couple of cameos in some low grade movies after SNL, but you must agree with me that his " People of Namibia need your fondue sets" skit was pretty damn funny.
OK, I vote for Belushi too, you racist bastards.

Please note that any and all caustic or racial remarks are a direct result of the author's drunkeness and do not directly reflect the opinions of this forum or any other party that may be held responsible for their content. The author still thinks the "People of Namibia" sketch is the best of all time. So, THERE!

I'm surprised no one called me out for not having any females on the list, but come on. Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain, or Julia Louis-Dreifus(sp)??? I kind of wanted to put Jay Mohr on, just because I thought the series Action! was great. I figured he wouldn't get any votes.

And your right Alemonkey, Norm MacDonald sucked! He was even worse than Kevin Nealon or Colin Quinn. I like Letterman, but he had MacDonald on after he had been fired from SNL and Dave was talking about how bad he was dissed by NBC. He wasn't dissed Dave, he just wasn't funny!!!

alemonkey said:
Oh yeah...

What...No Norm MacDonald????:D

Worst...Weekend Update Host.....Ever.......

It's pretty bad when there's dead silence after every single joke he tells.

Is that better or worse than those two chicks who laugh at all their own jokes?

I haven't watched SNL regularly in years, it's been so bad, but everytime I turn on it seems that those two are laughing at themselves (and no one else is).

Back