How long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtian116

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal cream stout at the end of October, then got hurt pretty bad two weeks later. After surgery on my arm and recovery time, I'm going to attempt putting it in a keg today. Is it even worth trying to save?

I would say yes to kegging and let us know how it turned out. Did the airlock hold the liquid or did it evaporate off over time? It might be fine or it might be funky, which maybe ok too. Either way it won't kill you.

The airlock is exactly as I left it. It's been sitting at 69 degrees the entire time. I'm only concerned because I usually only let it go 5 to 6 weeks.

Soooo basically you were forced to be patient with this beer, and not screw with it for a while? Kinda like what all the old timers on this site try to say? It will probably be a great beer, enjoy

Was it in secondary or on the primary yeast that long?

Either way taste it! If it was in secondary its probably awesome! I've never aged anything that long in primary, but might have a funny taste.

No idea till you try it!

Well, I force carbed a pint. Not exactly what I was going for, tasted very yeasty! So, I reracked and added a little brown sugar and water. It took off again and is going nuts this morning. I guess I'll try it again in a couple of days.

It's a lost hope! Sadly I'm going to try bottling about half and check it in a year. Last time I did that, it was the best I ever had. I wish I hadn't thrown out the other half.

Back