Best Barrel Aging Beer Styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper5000

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have been getting involved in barrel aging beers recently and wad going to take on a 53 gallon project soon. I have made RIS's and imperial porters for barrel aging as well as barleywines. I am trying to brainstorm on other styles that would be good for barrel aging. What do you all like and/or think are good styles for barrel aging?

I have yet to see a belgian double or dark strong that has been barrel aged. It may be interesting.

The best beer I ever had was Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad (with cherries). I have also had excellent RIS bourbon barrels, but also porters and dark strongs. One of my goals in the next year is to do some barrel ageing.

all good suggestions, i usually don't go for belgians but i have been developing more of a pallet for the recently...

I recently kegged a 9.7% abv Belgian Tripel that was in a 10 gallon Rye Whiskey barrel for 2 months (which was almost too long). It came out really nice. I used my barrel rinser to rinse out some of the Whiskey flavor before transferring the beer into the barrel. The oak, Belgian esters, Pilsner malt and noble hops really blended well. The reaction people have when they smell it initially, without being told it's barrel aged is priceless. It's hard to stop drinking it.

Back