7cu ft freezer sale starting tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure you use good wires (14Awg or better). In the STC-1000 build thread, the experts say with the current a freezer can draw may be too great for 16 or smaller. Just an FYI.

This is important, but if you're being careful, the STC-1000 is only rated to 10A to begin with... In practice it's not likely to be a problem in either case because the peak draw is only for a short time during compressor start-up, then the steady-state current is much lower.

It doesn't hurt to use heavier gauges, though. For my STC-1000 box, I used 14 AWG and made sure all components were rated for 15A. I also installed an in-line fuse as additional insurance.

I adjusted the thermostat all the way clockwise and my freezer is sitting on 32F with the dial set to 1. My little temp gauge is not the most accurate so I will borrow my fluke from work and test it. I like my beer nice and cold but not frozen lol.

I left mine at 1 over night. In the morning everything was frozen. The keg being force carbed leaked. Didn't adjust any of the internals of the thermostat. Ended up just hooking up an external thermostat.

Picked up the menards version of a 7 because I had some rebate store credit kicking around. Can't beat $118 out of pocket. I want to use this primarily for hop storage but the VOC / plastic smell coming off the thing last night has me worried. Its a little better this morning now that its cold but definitely still present.

Anyone with a newer freezer speak to how quickly the smell dissipates?

Don't want the Simcoe to smell like 3 cats pissing on a pine tree outside of a tire factory.

Picked up the menards version of a 7 because I had some rebate store credit kicking around. Can't beat $118 out of pocket. I want to use this primarily for hop storage but the VOC / plastic smell coming off the thing last night has me worried. Its a little better this morning now that its cold but definitely still present.

Anyone with a newer freezer speak to how quickly the smell dissipates?

Don't want the Simcoe to smell like 3 cats pissing on a pine tree outside of a tire factory.

I have the same one, I think. It didn't smell too strongly for me, but I left it propped open (to be sure cats didn't get closed inside) overnight to be sure. Also remember to wait 24 hours before turning it on if you turned it on its side to transport it!

As long as your hops are well sealed, I don't think outgassing will affect them. After all, you don't want oxygen getting in there anyway!

I left mine at 1 over night. In the morning everything was frozen. The keg being force carbed leaked. Didn't adjust any of the internals of the thermostat. Ended up just hooking up an external thermostat.
I adjusted the thermostat all the way clockwise and my freezer is sitting on 32F with the dial set to 1. My little temp gauge is not the most accurate so I will borrow my fluke from work and test it. I like my beer nice and cold but not frozen lol.

If you guys are responding to my post, you need to follow the link I posted for it to work. It involves removing the service panel, unscrewing the thermostat enclosure screws from the inside, gently sliding out the thermostat unit and adjusting the tiny screw on the inside. No high voltage, no electrical changes, no coolant (but always unplug anyways!). Just a few screws in and out.

When I tried just setting it to the lowest external setting my cup of test water was icing over within an hour or so. The stock thermostat can hold temperatures above freezing, but only by the method from that link. Even cranked all the way to the highest temperature, using both the coarse and fine adjustments, the temperature it holds is a bit on the cold side(~37-38), but definitely above freezing.

My kegging setup isn't here yet, and I've got two batches sitting in my garage in extended secondary waiting for their new stainless homes. I may ultimately decide that the temps I'm getting from the stock thermostat are colder than I want my beer, but I'm not sure. I generally like to pour a big beer and start when it's really cold and finish as it gets almost too warm, so I can enjoy an entire temperature range. The nice thing is that until my return period from Home Depot runs out, I can keep shopping for other options :mug:

If you guys are responding to my post, you need to follow the link I posted for it to work. It involves removing the service panel, unscrewing the thermostat enclosure screws from the inside, gently sliding out the thermostat unit and adjusting the tiny screw on the inside. No high voltage, no electrical changes, no coolant (but always unplug anyways!). Just a few screws in and out.

When I tried just setting it to the lowest external setting my cup of test water was icing over within an hour or so. The stock thermostat can hold temperatures above freezing, but only by the method from that link. Even cranked all the way to the highest temperature, using both the coarse and fine adjustments, the temperature it holds is a bit on the cold side(~37-38), but definitely above freezing.

My kegging setup isn't here yet, and I've got two batches sitting in my garage in extended secondary waiting for their new stainless homes. I may ultimately decide that the temps I'm getting from the stock thermostat are colder than I want my beer, but I'm not sure. I generally like to pour a big beer and start when it's really cold and finish as it gets almost too warm, so I can enjoy an entire temperature range. The nice thing is that until my return period from Home Depot runs out, I can keep shopping for other options :mug:

Guess I wasnt clear on my post but that is what I did. I have a 12 pack in there and it is not frozen.

The sale on these ended yesterday. I was in my HD last night and they were all gone. I was going to try buying another one last night. I was hoping the floor model would be sitting there with a scratch or a ding on it that would net me an additional discount...but nope. I'm glad I got mine when I did.

Ordered a 2 tap, dual reg system from kegcowboy yesterday. Will be expanding to 4 later. Keg connection seemed to be a little bit higher in price when I was looking on my phone.

I lied. Keg Connection is cheaper. Even if they were more expensive it would be worth it IMO to buy from them based on the stellar reviews of quick shipment and awesome customer service.

Keg Cowboy has returned none of my email's from when I ordered the 2 tap setup on the 18th. I emailed asking to upgrade my regulator to a dual body and got nothing. I emailed to confirm that they got that email and asking for an update on ETA for shipping yesterday as that was the 5th business day since I ordered. Nothing back. Called today and was told the Perlick 525SS and Taprite Regulator will be coming in to their store tomorrow and should be shipped out tomorrow afternoon. Ordering another 2 tap setup - CO2 tank, with 525SS faucets and a 4 way CO2 block plus a few other goodies sometime this week from KC.

I ordered a two tap system from birdman and upgraded everything to P525 SS and SS shanks. I also added two kegs and got it all in less than 5 days. Doing a head to head comparison, I found his pricing to be just a little better. We are having a wall removed and carpeting replaced with laminate in our basement, so all my stuff is still boxed and in my garage.

I ordered a two tap system from birdman and upgraded everything to P525 SS and SS shanks. I also added two kegs and got it all in less than 5 days. Doing a head to head comparison, I found his pricing to be just a little better. We are having a wall removed and carpeting replaced with laminate in our basement, so all my stuff is still boxed and in my garage.

Thanks again for the order, limulus! Would love to see some pics when you are up and running.

Thanks again for the order, limulus! Would love to see some pics when you are up and running.

Oh there will be photos! However, I don't know if I have any before photos of the basement. But this is about beer, so that is not important. I did order another P525 SS and SS shank from your Black Friday sale.

Coarse adjustment success! I have this freezer holding 39 degrees on level "2" with the coarse adjustment screw bottomed out.

Not quite finished, gonna put a nice 1x8 around the collar still. But we re operational!

image-4219528325.jpg

image-3785035785.jpg

No pic at the moment. I just pulled out the screws on the bottom of the hinge, removed the lid, placed lid on the collar and screwed in with some wood nails.

Here's my work in progress on this kegerator... my kitchen is an industrial look with a lot of stainless and exposed pipe and concrete, so i wanted the exposed pan screw heads. The material over the pine is some aluminum flashing i had left over from doing my roof. I still need to add some aluminum outside corner trim and add the drip tray i just bought.

btw, if anyone is looking for a cheap drip tray...
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/update-international/dts-419/p386244.aspx

80VTx.jpg

How are you mounting that style of tray. I was going to buy a wall mount and screw it to the collar but they are pricey.

Here's my work in progress on this kegerator... my kitchen is an industrial look with a lot of stainless and exposed pipe and concrete, so i wanted the exposed pan screw heads. The material over the pine is some aluminum flashing i had left over from doing my roof. I still need to add some aluminum outside corner trim and add the drip tray i just bought.

btw, if anyone is looking for a cheap drip tray...
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/update-international/dts-419/p386244.aspx

80VTx.jpg

How are you mounting that style of tray. I was going to buy a wall mount and screw it to the collar but they are pricey.

i've already tested it and it works great... i used some small rare earth magnets (super strong magnets) and some L brackets, and velcro... magnets stick the L brackets to the freezer.. velcro keeps the drip tray on the L bracket (and allows it to be pulled off to be cleaned).

I used 4 L brackets (they came in a package of 4 for like $4), and 2 small, maybe 3/4" magnets on the back of each bracket (so 8 magnets total)

I'll take a pic later when i assemble it permanently, it looks nice and fits the style.

Well here is mine. First brew I made I was looking forward too but is not carbonated yet so I do not want to judge it:(

20121203_212843_3[1].jpg

i like it.. is that paint or dark stain on the face of it?

If i could make it bigger you could see that it is textured spray paint from home depot. It looks really good up close and I bought wood that looked terrible. I did use some putty on the screw holes and some other uneven spots.

I bought one on Sunday at a Home Depot store, but it was the last one. It fits a single carboy (5 or 6.5 g) if you don't have a collar. I can check the keg sizing later.

Got four pinlocks inside with a 5# CO2 tank that need to be refilled. Upgraded while refilling to a 10# tank. Just barely fit that in as well, a lil stressful, but it made it.

Here is a close up of the paint I used. I currently have a 5# bottle, corney (first brew not yet carbed), and a 1/4 barrel skinny in there. Nothing on the hump but an emergency 12 pack of sam adams. I should have gone with shorter shanks

paint.jpg

I finally unpacked one of these this morning (took the day off). I had never even checked my keg fit inside this thing. So, here is what I have:
2ea 5gal ball locks
2ea 2.5 gal ball locks
I was hoping those 2.5s would fit stacked as they are built to do but they are too tall. I was certain that both would not fit on the shelf and I was correct about that. I thought removing the handles from one would make them fit stacked on the floor. But the valves are just little too tall and I don't want a collar. I can sit one on the shelf and the other one halfway on the shelf with something under it for support and still get a third 5gal keg inside.

It is now running with my 16yr old Johnson Controls controller at 38F. I have an STC-1000 that will be built into the coffin box this weekend and I'll put the old JC back into a safe place in case I need it.

I was going to use one of these freezers in my garage for fermentation, but I think it may get too hot in there in summer. The manual says not to install in a garage or any place that can get above 85F.

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

I was going to use one of these freezers in my garage for fermentation, but I think it may get too hot in there in summer. The manual says not to install in a garage or any place that can get above 85F.

I've got mine on my back patio. I did read that in the literature, but I'm rolling the dice. I've also got one in the garage :)

BTW, are those 2.5g cornies bigger in diameter? I have 4 ball locks on the floor right now.

Disappointment for me. Opened mine up last weekend and UPS dented it to hell. Dents on all sides, and the corner where the controls are is crushed.

Gonna have to take it to my local HD this weekend to exchange.

I've got mine on my back patio. I did read that in the literature, but I'm rolling the dice. I've also got one in the garage :)

BTW, are those 2.5g cornies bigger in diameter? I have 4 ball locks on the floor right now.

Yep, they are slightly larger in diameter.

Got mine switched out at HD last night. No huge deal other than they couldn't figure out how to ring it out correctly. They wanted to return it and have me re-buy it at the higher current price, which clearly wasn't going to work for me. It took about three of those eggheads to finally figured it out.

I was able to fit the freezer and box in the back of my Pontiac Vibe. Not bad for a 4 cylinder hatchback.

I dry fitted four ball locks on the floor, and it appears that six might even fit if the CO2 tank is located outside and a decent height collar is used. Anyone built this with six yet?

I dry fitted four ball locks on the floor, and it appears that six might even fit if the CO2 tank is located outside and a decent height collar is used. Anyone built this with six yet?

I built my collar tall enough to fit 2 on the hump, but one will be hanging off a bit... i'd have to build some kind of support to prevent it from falling if the other kegs are removed. It should fit fine, though. I like the clean look of the tank inside.

Thanks for the info digi2k.

I took apart my controller today and screwed the coarse adjustment screw all the way in to set it at warm as possible. Set the freezer to 1 on the fine adjustment (warmest), and stuck my thermometer in a cup of water.

Six hours later, and it got a thin layer of ice and registers 32-33F :( Tweaked it again, seeing if I can get somewhere north of 35F, but I might need an external controller since this doesn't want to get warm enough.

Got a voivemail this morning, my GE will be delivered by 1pm today. I'll use that as my new fermentation chamber, and keep my 5cf GE for conditioning cornie kegs. Woot!:ban:

Just an FYI I just picked up this model from Home Depot for 115. All clearance is 20% off through tomorrow and this falls under that I had to go to a second Home Depot but they had plenty

Dammit, the forum ate my reply!

Anyway, short version:
This freezer *will* fit 6 ball locks (I got a few more kegs recently). Four on the floor, and two on the hump. You'll need a slight bit of a stand (about 4" wide, same height as the hump) for the second one on the hump. Your CO2 would probably need to be outside the freezer.

I'm going to build mine with 4 as I planned, but keep my options open to expand to 6 if necessary in the future.

Back