You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your five year old knows to run and find you if the 18 month old is 'messing with daddys carboys again' (and the five year old uses the word 'carboy' with no pronunciation problems)

When you walk outside for a break and overhear two people talking about good and bad bacteria and things getting sour and you think yum. Never mind he was talking about his two year old being sick.

Pitbull-brewer said:
This might be more of a new brewer one.

When you create three new threads asking questions for your first all grain, not realizing most veteran brewers have answered this question on about a dozen other threads. It took me about 2 months to discover there is a search button here, so I know I am guilty of this.

In my experience, doing a Google search works better than using the search button, by the way.

When a "quick trip" to Home Depot ends up being a few hours of wandering around looking for homebrew gadgets and do dads

When I was putting my cooler mash tun together, I'd drop my wife off at work, then hit Lowe's at 6:01 am for a propane tank exchange and to spend, what undoubtedley seemed to anyone who happened to notice, a disconcerting amount talking to myself in the plumbing section.

In my experience, doing a Google search works better than using the search button, by the way.
this forum has built-in google, by the way. click the down arrow by the search box, at the top of the page above the HBT logo.

i only use the google search box. the default "always visible" search box is useless.

amrmedic said:
When your 5 year old daughter takes your zip lock baggie full of whole leaf hops into school for show and tell and tells her class "these are my daddys favorite" and upon arrival to pick her up from school are promptly pulled into the principals office for questioning.

That's gonna happen to me. She loves the smell of hops.

you start sneaking bottle into work so they can carb in your filling cabinet (house is too drafty and heat is kept low during the day and at night, so carb'ing takes forever this time of year... if the office is going to stay nice and toasty at 72* on a 24/7 basis, why not take advantage of it?!?).

sweetcell said:
you start sneaking bottle into work so they can carb in your filling cabinet (house is too drafty and heat is kept low during the day and at night, so carb'ing takes forever this time of year... if the office is going to stay nice and toasty at 72* on a 24/7 basis, why not take advantage of it?!?).

When you use brown lunch bags to disguise the beer you share with your coworkers. And, you park somewhere that you can hand off empty bottles and brewing equipment to fellow brewing coworkers where the surveillance cameras won't see you.

U have no problem marinading a turkey with settled out dregs of your perfectly timed transfer. Oh yes it is happening, right now, apfelwine dregs (bigger than normal per the occasion) crash cool settled, screened and sifted. To later be boiled down into a monster spritzer for the spitfire grill.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Billy-Klubb said:
when you start making oatmeal for breakfast and you end up with a stout.

I've thought about heating oats and barley to the 150s and letting it rest for the sugars,for breakfast

Billy-Klubb said:
nice! I have brewed coffee with some crushed crystal malt & black patent before. it wasn't bad.

When you see this post and immediately wonder if the OP has a recipe.

Yup. Yup, yup, and yup.

You realize exactly why recipe 9b is completely different from 9a and now can't stop thinking about when you can brew 9c.

You look in the back yard and think.... will birds eat spent grain....and then proceed to scatter some around.

And they do.

You go to supposedly great beer pubs to taste everything they have on tap...only to confirm that your brews taste better (and don't cost $4-6/pint!)....

You know you're a homebrewer when you've beaten the "You know you're a homebrewer when..." to death and then some.....

...when somebody comments on how nice your "cooler" is, and is then surprise to find out it isn't actually a cooler.

When you find yourself in the curtain section of Walmart with a bunch of old ladies and your all looking at the voile. Only they're looking for new curtains and your finding your BIAB material.

When a friend asks you what the date is (it's December 15) and you tell them it's January 19th, because you were just thinking about the date tomorrow's brew session will be ready to pour.

Back