TJTHEBEST's E-BIAB Build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJTHEBEST

Reaction score
I'm excited to finally say that i'm going to be starting my electric brewing journey! Im am looking to build an electric BIAB setup with recirculation. This is basically gonna be a clone of Johnodon's build. Ive got a pretty good idea of what im gonna need in order to make this happen.

Firstly, I am going to need a wiring diagram. Im hoping PJ will help me out here. I want a 220v 5500 watt single element, single PID control panel. I also want a timer with an alarm. Illuminated switches would be great as well.

Im planning on documenting my progress throughout the build as I am very excited for this!

Thanks guys!

~TJ

Using mine right now for a RIS. Hit 78%.

ForumRunner_20120304_215849.jpg

gunner,

You are actually one of my inspirations! Im going to be using the harbor freight rolling bench like yours. Any tips or tricks or things that are easily overlooked?

TJTHEBEST said:
gunner,

You are actually one of my inspirations! Im going to be using the harbor freight rolling bench like yours. Any tips or tricks or things that are easily overlooked?

Not really it is fairly straight forward. There is another builder here that swapped the top and bottom shelves on the cart and turned the one on top upside down allowing for a flat top with no walls. Thought about doing that myself. Good luck and keep us posted. Gotta go pitch some yeast now!

Gunner, Ya i saw that, looks like a good idea.

Heres the diagram i've been looking at.

Now i just need one with the alarm and an buzzer/indicator light wired in.

Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-BIAB-30d4-v2.jpg

Just got my 30 amp gfci cord and chugger pump! Now im ready to get my wiring diagram hammered out so i can order my parts from auberins!

Looks like this is what you want. Forget what thread PJ posted it in. I tweaked it for my build.

wiring.jpg

Don't know if you're wanting the general power-on and off. But you should be able to see how the alarm buzzer and indicator are wired and incorporate that into your build and wiring diagram there. I can't really see what yours is since it's small.

iijakii,

That is very close to what i want except i think i want a timer as well.

Although now that i think about it Im not sure how much a timer will really do for me?..?

Does anyone with a timer in their control panel want to chime in? Or anyone that has made the decision that a timer wasnt needed?

I opted to not include a timer but I kind of wish I had. But at the same time, I'm not really upset about it. It's not complicated for me to look at a clock or I can pickup a cheap kitchen timer or stopwatch or something.

iijakii don't feel bad. its just one more part that can fail.... :) brew on! KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID(KISS) is my motto!

ya i dont think i need a timer. But i think i do want an alarm so i know when i reach my set temps.

Bumping, to hope that PJ can chime in.
I subscribed to this (your) thread some time ago. I'd be glad to help you with a modified diagram. However, the real problem that I had and also have at the moment is that I am not able to identify the original diagram that I made. Without that it is very difficult to make the changes that you want incorporated. Starting over is not an option for me. I have drawn hundreds of diagrams and tracking back to change one is difficult without the info for me to find my source file. The image you posted is so small that I cannot cypher the file to modify it.

iijakii pretty much did the same thing. He cut the diagram so that the foot notes, legend and other info is gone. I was able to find that one though. The source file is 9.95 mb. No way would I attempt to start over on a diagram. (His diagram ID is: Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-BIAB-30d7)

If you could please give me a clue about the diagram, I'd be way more than happy to help you. Perhaps if you would go back to the original thread where you found the diagram and right click on it. That will give you the source info including the exact file name linked from my web site. (Or if you saved the diagram on your computer, the file name is there.)

Please help me help you.

Modifying a diagram is fairly easy. Starting over for something I've already done? Not! (Getting very old just plainly sucks!)

P-J

Thanks PJ!

Here is basically what i want to do, though i want to add a flashing buzzer and possibly a timer.

"(Image with full ID)"
Excellent.! Thank you so much for that.
Now I can identify my diagram.
Please give me a day or two to develop a plan for you.

BTW, If you have any other ideas for additions, please let me know. This way I can do the task in one shot. No?

P-J

Here is the new diagram (It has a different file name):

As always, click on the image for a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Please let me know if it's ok and fits your needs.

P-J

Thanks PJ,

That looks pretty good.

I do like how brewhokies only has one buzzer. Also are the extra switches for the pause and reset necessary? If they are then i understand but i think it would look a little better if i could just use ones that are on the timer itself? Let me know your thoughts on this please?

Also, will this timer make the PID shut the element off when time is up? or something along the lines of switching the temp? or does it not do that?

Thanks!

Thanks PJ,

That looks pretty good.

I do like how brewhokies only has one buzzer. Also are the extra switches for the pause and reset necessary? If they are then i understand but i think it would look a little better if i could just use ones that are on the timer itself? Let me know your thoughts on this please?

Also, will this timer make the PID shut the element off when time is up? or something along the lines of switching the temp? or does it not do that?

Thanks!
I do believe that you can use the Pause/Reset on the timer face so the switches would not be needed. (I think so.)

I do not think the timer would interact with the PID. At least I don't know how to set up such a function.

You might want to call the owner of Auber Instruments (Suyi Liu). I'm very sure that he could easily answer the questions and provide guidance. If there is a way, Please let me know.

P-J

The Sestos timer has a reset button, but no pause. Its a pain compared to the Auberins timer, but changing the time setting is much easier on the Sestos timer.

No the timer does not interact with the PID.

Also you only need one buzzer. I would definitely add the alarm switches inline though. Otherwise you will have to go into the PID settings a change the alarm to turn it off. Usually when I have an alarm set it means I need to do something, so its nice to be able to just flip the switch and have it turn of the alarm.

P-J, thank you very much for that diagram. You are helping more people than you know. I thought I had adding the Auber timer figured out from a few different posts, but this is exactly what I want to build, and I'll sleep better knowing someone who knows what he is doing electrically has worked it out.

Thanks PJ,

That looks pretty good.

Thanks!
I do believe that you can use the Pause/Reset on the timer face so the switches would not be needed. (I think so.)

I do not think the timer would interact with the PID. At least I don't know how to set up such a function.

You might want to call the owner of Auber Instruments (Suyi Liu). I'm very sure that he could easily answer the questions and provide guidance. If there is a way, Please let me know.

P-J
Have you decided what you want to do in your build? I've not heard back from you. So: I've drawn a new diagram for you if you want to eliminate some of the alarm control switches.

Try this:

As always, click on the image for a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Please let me know. If it's something else that you are looking for, Please help me help you.

P-J

P-J. Thanks for the great info. You saved me a lot of research and development time and money. Just one question, what are u using for the temperature sensor?

P-J. Thanks for the great info. You saved me a lot of research and development time and money. Just one question, what are u using for the temperature sensor?
I strongly recommend using Auber Instruments Liquid Tight RTD Sensor, 2” Probe, Weldless Fitting configured with their "Optional Deluxe Cable" add on. Well worth the $'s. (Or if you want, use their 4" weldless probe setup. Same price.)

Hope this helps you.

P-J

Thanks for the PID info Brewhokie!

And PJ thanks for the updated wiring diagram, i think that is exactly what im looking for.

Your pretty much amazing!

Have you decided what you want to do in your build? I've not heard back from you. So: I've drawn a new diagram for you if you want to eliminate some of the alarm control switches.

Try this:

Please let me know. If it's something else that you are looking for, Please help me help you.

P-J

Just a suggestion on the alarm switches. I'd recommend adding an inline switch between both the timer and the PID to the buzzer like in my diagram. Otherwise you'll have to be constantly changing the PID alarm to use the timer alarm. For example if you set a high temp alarm at 155 to let you know you strike water is getting close, you would have to manually adjusted the high alarm to 215 to use the timer during the boil. It's not that big of a deal, but IMHO well worth the couple of bucks for another switch.

By the way PJ you rock, I couldn't have finished my build without you!

Isnt the switch that PJ is showing a 3 way switch. So i could switch it between the timer/off/PID? If its like that it would be great. However, if im mistaken than i definitely want two switches.

It is a 3 way switch - seems perfect to me. Switch the alarm to PID until you hit the mash temperature, turn it to timer until you are done mashing, turn it back to PID to hit boil or a couple degrees shy, then back to the timer for counting down hop additions/boil.

I don't now what I exactly need to do to reset the alarm temperatures on the PID between mash and boil, but I'm certain it's doable. The only thing I'd change is possibly add a timer reset button, and I need to lay everything out before I decide if I want to use the space for it or use the reset function on the timer. Full disclosure - I have most of the parts for this control panel, nothing built yet.

Isnt the switch that PJ is showing a 3 way switch. So i could switch it between the timer/off/PID? If its like that it would be great. However, if im mistaken than i definitely want two switches.
You did good and are right on the money with your understanding of the diagram.

P-J

Thanks PJ!!

Do you think i could get a copy of that handy Brew parts order spreadsheet that ive seen floating around? I dont want to forget anything that i may need.

Do you mean this one?
(It is not configured for your set up.)

Click on the image to see the actual spread sheet.

--- Then save it to your system. The Excel file is not password protected so that you can add things that interest you. You can use the tab key (and back tab key) to navigate the sheet.

I Sure Hope This Helps You!

P-J

So with this configuration will the switch for the PID turn the Timer and the PID on? Or will the Timer be on the as long as the panel is plugged in?

Also here is how im planning on laying out my control panel.

Any comments/concerns/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Control Panel Layout.jpg

So with this configuration will the switch for the PID turn the Timer and the PID on? Or will the Timer be on the as long as the panel is plugged in?
The way it's setup, the timer is on when the panel is plugged in.

I can change that for you if you want. (I suggest - Yes.)

Just let me know.
-----------

Nevermind.. I made a new diagram for you anyway (different name):

P-J

(BTW - I discovered that I made a wiring error in the previous version. I fixed it now so if you have saved it you might want to refresh it to the version now up in this thread.)

what are you using as the control panel housing? The first order of parts arrived and the PID is longer than I expected so I need to locate new housing. Im building the same rig as this diagram to hold me over until Im ready to go do the 3 vessel system.

Thanks PJ!! You are always so darn helpful!

Olive Drab, I have a 12X12X6 NEMA box that i am planning to use. Though i might buy a project box from auberins. How deep is the is the one you have?

Latest posts

Back